Station 2 - Belltown
About the Station
Fire Station 2, located at 2320 Fourth Ave., is the oldest working fire station in Seattle. Built in 1921, the facility houses one engine company, a ladder unit, a medic unit and a reserve medic unit. The major renovation and expansion was completed in July 2010.
In 1985, the Seattle Landmarks Board designated Station 2 as a landmark. Read the landmark nomination report.
Arai Jackson Ellison Murakami, a local architectural firm, designed the renovation.
- A seismic upgrade to bring the station up to current safety standards
- A remodeled interior to provide more space for fire operations, including dedicated spaces for decontamination, gear storage and capacity for another firefighting vehicle
- Space to house one of the City's three new fragmentation caches (if the City is divided into fragments during a seismic event or other disaster, these secure storage areas provide future flexibility)
- A new occupational health center
Because of the landmark status, all structural modifications will maintain the integrity of the building's historic character.
During the station upgrade, the station was relocated to an interim facility at 301 Aurora Ave. N. to ensure continued fire and medic response to the neighborhood served by Fire Station 2.
The project is completed.
- July 2010: The project was completed; crews moved back into the permanent station.
- March 2009: Construction began with Bayley Construction.
- February 2009: Bayley Construction was awarded the construction contract. The temporary station was completed and crews moved into the interim facilities.
- June 2008: Pellco Construction was awarded the contract for work on the temporary station.
- March 2008: The project received a certificate of approval from the Landmarks Preservation Board.
- October 2007: About 100 neighbors attended the design development open house.
- July 2007: The Landmarks Committee reviewed switching the locations of the garage door and the man door on the west facade. The committee also looked at the prospect of having the historic bell, currently located at Fire Station 5, returned to the property.
- March 2007: Approximately 100 community members attended the pre-design scope open house to learn about station improvements, view sketches, meet the firefighters, and tour the engine, medic unit and ladder truck.
- November 2006: Arai Jackson Ellison Murakami Architects were selected for the project.
Address: 2320 Fourth Ave.
Completion Date: July 2010
Date Built: 1921