The mission of the Seattle Fire Department is to save lives and protect property through emergency medical services, fire and rescue response and fire prevention. We respond immediately when any member of our community needs help with professional, effective and compassionate service.
The Seattle Fire Department is a national leader in responding to and preventing emergencies with a commitment to excellence and teamwork. We seek a diverse workforce who embrace the following values.
- Integrity - We are honest, trustworthy and accountable. Honor guides our actions.
- Teamwork - We each bring our own skills and experience, yet we recognize that we are better together. We support and depend on each other to achieve our goals.
- Compassion - Caring is part of our job. We could not do what we do without a deep and motivating empathy for those we serve.
- Courage - We show fortitude and determination in a crisis.
- Diversity - We respect the different identities, experiences, and perspectives of those that we work with and the community we serve.
Job of a Seattle Firefighter
Under general supervision, a Firefighter responds to fires, accidents, and medical emergencies to protect life and property; participates in fire inspections, fire prevention activities, station maintenance, and training activities; and performs related work as required.
All Seattle Firefighters are either EMT or paramedic certified. 80% of emergency calls received by the Department are medical in nature.
Seattle Firefighters must be able to learn a wide variety of firefighting procedures, methods and operations, including the operation and maintenance of firefighting apparatus, equipment and tools. Successful firefighters must be able to learn technical principles of hydraulics and fire chemistry as applied to fire suppression. They must be able to learn and apply principles of building construction as applies to fire suppression and fire protection. They must be able to learn proper driving procedures of various fire apparatus. They must be able to perform manipulative tasks requiring manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination. They must have the physical strength and agility to perform strenuous physical work. Lastly, they must use good judgment in the application of firefighting, first aid, and other emergency techniques and procedures.
All candidates must apply via the Entry Level Firefighter process which includes Testing followed by Pre-Employment Screening. Once offered a position, all candidates must successfully complete our in-house, paid Recruit Training program.