- $72,888 starting salary.
- Medical, dental and vision benefits for employee and family.
- Operations Firefighters work approximately eight 24-hour shifts per month.
- State Retirement System pension plan (LEOFF Plan 2).
- Tax deferred compensation account with fixed City contributions (similar to a 401K plan).
- Vacation (up to 14 shifts per year).
- Compensatory time.
- Sick Leave (approximately 4 shifts per year, with unlimited accrual).
- Life and Disability Insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program counseling and referral benefits available for employee and household members.
- Uniform Allowance.
- Paid military leave (256 hours) and military wage supplement pay.
- Veterans are eligible for certain GI Bill reimbursements during Recruit School.
- Paid Parental Leave (160 hours).
- Other leaves include emergency, funeral, pregnancy disability, jury duty, transplant donor, family and medical, EAP counseling, and personal leave.
- Eligibility for Public Service Loan Forgiveness.
- Tuition Reimbursement Program.
- IAFF Local 27 union membership.
- Employee Discounts (gym membership, cellphone service, and more).
The starting annual salary for a Fire Recruit is just under $73,000 per year with step, longevity and cost of living pay increases per union contract.
- $5,698/month - Starting Recruit Firefighter Pay
- $6,039/month - 6 months
- $6,381/month - 18 months
- $6,722/month - 30 months
- $7,063/month - 42 months
In addition to promotional opportunities, there are several specialty assignments available to Firefighters. Specialty assignments include between five and 20 percent premium pay. Seattle Firefighters must have completed probation to apply for a technical team. Seattle Firefighters must have at least three and a half years with the Department to apply to attend Medic One Paramedic training and work as a Seattle Paramedic.
- Firefighter ($72,888 to $105,228 per year)
- Fire Lieutenant ($92,940 to $115,476 per year)
- Fire Captain ($106,464 to $129,600 per year)
- Battalion Chief ($121,992 to $158,580 per year)
- Deputy Chief ($139,284 to $165,156 per year)
- Assistant Chief (up to $214,876 per year)
- Fire Chief
Premium Pay Assignments
- Apparatus Driver
- Hazardous Materials Team
- Technical Rescue Team
- Marine Emergency Response Team
- Fire Prevention Inspector
- Training Division Instructor
- Fire Dispatcher
- Arson Investigator
- Other Administrative Positions