Seattle Fire Department Harold Scoggins, Fire Chief
About Us|Contact Us
Bottom part of SFD logo   Home > Publications > After the Fire > Home Uninhabitable
Department Information
Public Education
Fire Prevention
Medic One
- News
- Fire Code Regulations
- CNG Auto Fire PowerPoint
- Client Assistance Memos
- Fire Fact Sheets
- "After the Fire" Guide
- Children's Activity Sheets
- Preschool Newsletter
Photo Gallery
Site Map

Home Fire Safety

If Your Home is Uninhabitable

Use caution in re-occupying your home. If it has been severely damaged or contaminated, you may need to find other housing. If you are covered by a homeowner's insurance policy, you may be eligible for temporary housing. Remember, save any receipts for money you spend related to your fire loss. Your insurance company will want copies in order to reimburse you. These receipts will also be useful for verifying losses claimed on your federal income tax.

Individuals who have experienced a fire or other disaster may obtain assistance from the local American Red Cross. Upon application to the Red Cross, you can obtain food, clothing, lodging and other services. Day or night call 206-323-2345 and ask for Disaster Services. In addition to the Red Cross, there are other community agencies which may be able to help. Your Red Cross disaster caseworker can assist you in contacting appropriate agencies.

Be Sure to Notify the Following

  • the Post Office of your new address
  • banks
  • credit card companies
  • City Light or Seattle Public Utilities (water & garbage) 206-684-3000
  • other utilities as appropriate
  • Puget Sound Energy - 1-800-225-5773
  • Social Security Administration if necessary
  • your children's schools
  • the Police Department if your home will be left vacant for any length of time. (Find your local Precinct)

Print This Guide


Last Modified:   February 05, 2010

Seattle Fire Department Home | About Us | Contact Us | Related Links | Employment | Site Map