How to Guide
Set Up Automated
Benchmarking for Utilities
IMPORTANT: PSE is upgrading its automated benchmarking service to make it more user friendly. The automated service will be down temporarily until the new system is launched in July. Until then, PSE will email the total gas use for the whole building. Please follow these steps to request and upload your PSE data.
> Already have 2011 gas usage data from PSE? If your building was reported last year, you may already have some data. If this is the case, you must ask PSE for current data. Visit the Annual Update page for instructions.
1. Obtain PSE Meter Numbers and Make Request
- Compile a list of ALL gas meter numbers serving your building (not meter readings) Meter numbers can be found on PSE bills and the face of the actual meters.
- IMPORTANT: Release forms are required if you have four (4) or less tenants in your building that each receive PSE service.
> Each account holder must complete and sign the PSE Customer Data Release Form. A cover letter from the city is available to explain why the releases need to be signed.
> We recommend collecting the signed forms and sending them as a package to PSE with your meter list. Keep a copy of all information sent to PSE for your records.
- Allow up to 7 days for PSE to email you the total whole-building gas use in a spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel .xlsx format). If you need another format, such as PDF, .csv or pasted in an email, let PSE know when requesting. If you do not receive the data call 425-456-2494 or email PSE.
2. Add PSE Data to Portfolio Manager
- Log into your Portfolio Manager account.
- Under ‘My Portfolio’ click on your facility name.
- Under the ‘Energy Meters’ section, click Add Meter.
- Name your meter. 'PSE Gas Meter' is a good name.
- For 'Energy Type' select Natural Gas.
- For 'Units' select Therms.
- For ‘Add this meter to Total Facility Energy Use?’ Select Yes.
- For ‘Is this meter currently active?’ Select Yes.
- Ignore ‘Temporary Energy Data’ box and click Save.
- In the upper left corner of the page, click on Add Meter Entries.
- Using the list of meters that PSE emailed to you, count the number of months listed (usually 24).
- Enter this number under 'Meter Entries to Add.'
- Enter the first day of the earliest month on list of meters that PSE emailed to you as the 'Start Date.' Usually the 1st day of a month.
- Click Continue. The form should now show empty fields for 24 months.
> Copy the Energy Use (therms) into the empty fields.
> Stop entering therms at the most recent month that has a full month of data. For example, if the last end date provided by PSE is 04/06/2012, your last End Date in Portfolio Manager will be 03/31/2012.
> Make sure the list has data from 01/01/2012 to 12/31/2012 (at a minimum).
- When done, click SAVE.
If your building only has electric and gas, o to STEP 4 OR go back to STEP 3 to add other utilities if needed.
IMPORTANT: PSE only provides a one-time email containing 24 months of usage data. When updated data is needed, please send meter number(s) OR Portfolio Manager Building ID to Automatedbenchmarking@pse.com and the updated data in spreadsheet format will be sent to you. For more information about updating benchmarking data, visit the Annual Updates page.