The Monthly Connection
Disaster ready...prepared people,
Tell Your Friends and Neighbors about the Monthly Connection!
Connect with the people around you. Share this with your friends and neighbors and invite them to subscribe at the link below:
Click to sign up today!
September Tip of the Month: Its National Preparedness Month. Apply for Neighborhood Matching Funds up to $20,000, now through October 17.
The Seattle Department of Neighborhoods encourages you to apply for funding to help organize and engage your neighbors to plan for emergency and disaster situations. To learn more, click here.
Or, attend an informational workshop to learn more:
Tuesday, September 13, 6-8 pm, Ballard Branch Library, 5614 22nd Ave NW, Seattle 98107
Thursday, September 15, 6-8 pm, The 2100 Building, 2100 24th Ave S, Seattle 98144
Saturday, Oct 1*, 1-2 p.m., Douglass-Truth Branch Library, 2300 E. Yesler Way, Seattle 98122
*part of Urban Self-Reliance program series with Seattle Public Libraries
Other News to Know:
- 9/11 Commemorative Essays Janet Napolitano, Michael Chertoff, Tom Ridge and Paul Stockton reflect on how this day changed history.
- Get Tech Ready New website offers tips on how to stay in touch with loved ones and manage your financial affairs from anywhere using the latest technology.
- **SPECIAL EVENT** Community Preparedness Summit, Saturday, Sept 24, 8:30 a.m.- noon, Seattle EOC, 105 5th Avenue S, 98104. Free and open to all. RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-233-5076. Topics: 8:30-9 a.m. Orientation to Seattle Emergency Communication Hubs; followed by two presentations: lessons learned from recent earthquakes around the world, and how social media is being used during disaster.
- Urban Self-Reliance Classes new this year, in partnership with Seattle Public Libraries. For a detailed description or more information, visit www.spl.org or call 206-386-4636. DIY Seismic Home Retrofitting Workshops registration required.
Sunday, Sept 25, 2-4 p.m., Douglass-Truth Branch Library, 2300 E. Yesler Way, 98122
Sunday, Oct 2, 2-4 p.m., Greenwood Branch Library, 8016 Greenwood Ave N, 98103
Saturday, Oct 8, 2-4 p.m., Queen Anne Branch Library, 400 W. Garfield St, 98119
Saturday, Oct 15, 2-4 p.m., Southwest Branch Library, 9010 35th Ave SW, 98126
Disaster Supply Kit Workshops no registration.
Thursday, Oct 27, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Lake City Branch Library, 12501 28th Ave NE, 98125
Saturday, Oct 29, 1-2 p.m., Ballard Branch Library, 5614 22nd Ave NW, 98107
Saturday, Oct 29, 4-5 p.m., Broadview Branch Library, 12755 Greenwood Ave N, 98133
- Fall SNAP Classes free, no registration.
Thursday, Sept 15, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Central Library, 1000 4th Ave, Seattle 98104
Tuesday, Sept 20, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Fremont Branch Library, 731 N. 35th St, Seattle 98103
Thursday, Oct 13, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Capitol Hill Library, 425 Harvard Ave E, Seattle 98102
Tuesday, Oct 18, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Northgate Library, 10548 5th Ave N, Seattle 98125
Thursday, Nov 3, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Southwest Library, 9010 35th Ave SW, Seattle 98126
- Fall Skills Training free, registration required. Email: email@example.com or call 206-233-5076. All classes held at Magnuson Park, Bldg 406, The Brig, 7400 Sand Point Way NE, 98115
Saturday, Oct 1, 9-11 a.m., Fire Extinguisher & Utility Control
Saturday, Oct 1, 12-2 p.m., Fire Extinguisher & Utility Control
Saturday, Oct 15, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m., Light Urban Search & Rescue
Saturday, Nov 5, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Disaster First Aid
Saturday, Nov 19, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m., Light Urban Search & Rescue
Saturday, Dec 10, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., Disaster First Aid
- Phinney Center Home Retrofit Class - $25 fee*, register at 206-783-2244
Wednesday, October 12, 7-9 p.m., Phinney Neighborhood Assn, 6532 Phinney Ave N, 98103, *Required. Fee supports the PNA Tool Library.
If you have a tip or item to share, please send it our way and you may see it in an upcoming issue: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seattle Office of Emergency Management | 105 5th Avenue South, Suite 300 | Seattle | WA | 98104
Click here to unsubscribe