The Monthly Connection
Disaster ready...prepared people,
Tell Your Friends and Neighbors about the Monthly Connection!
Connect with the people around you. Share this with your friends and neighbors and invite them to subscribe: Click to sign up today!
April Tip of the Month: It's Disaster Preparedness Month in Washington. Don't forget, at 9:45 a.m. on April 20 – it’s the state-wide “Drop, cover and hold” drill. See other happenings on April 20 in Calendar Announcements. And check out this year’s preparedness campaign:
Take the "3 to Get Ready" preparedness challenge – from April 4 through May 6, click into this fun, free, easy way to get ready and share it with others! This year, we've teamed up with King County, Snohomish County and KIRO-FM. Take action, tell a friend, send a photo – enter to win prizes. Grand prize is a trip to Victoria for up to four people, includes ferry transport, lodging and a 4-person emergency supply kit!
• Businesses: check this out - Sound Shake Earthquake Guide for Businesses
The guidebook is easy to use, with scenario summaries, facilitator scripts and helpful resource links. Best of all – it’s free! It was developed after last October’s two-day earthquake exercise involving multiple agencies and jurisdictions. The link takes you to a summary of the exercise, along with media injects used and participant interviews.
Pick up a printed copy at our office: 105 5th Ave South, Seattle 98104 (corner of 5th/Washington). Call or contact us for more information: 206-233-5076, or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Start preparing your business today!
• So much has come out since the earthquake in Sendai, Japan - this was a particularly moving personal testimony.
• And this, from the New York Times, on how one isolated Japanese village pulled together to help each other when no other help was available. They really take SNAP to the next level.
April 16-17, Amateur Radio Communications Academy 2011, South Seattle Community College. Annual training for new and experienced amateur radio operators. For more information, go to: http://www.commacademy.org. Cost is $65 for both days, includes lunch. Register on-line now!
April 20, Movie Night at Seattle EOC, 6:30-9:00 p.m., 105 5th Ave S. Register by April 15 via e-mail: email@example.com or phone: 206-233-5076.
"A Village Called Versailles" - a stunning example of community resilience. This powerful documentary made its debut last year on PBS.
Upcoming SNAP Classes: free and open to the public, no registration necessary.
- Saturday, April 9, 10:30 am-12 noon, Douglass-Truth Branch Library, 2300 E. Yesler Way, 98118
- Wednesday, April 20, 12 noon-1:00 pm, Central Library, 2401 24th Ave E., 98112. Bring your lunch and find out the latest on what to do if you’re downtown when the big one hits.
- Tuesday, May 10, 6:30-7:45 pm, Beacon Hill Branch Library, 2821 Beacon Ave. S., 98144
- Thursday, May 19, 6:30-7:45 p.m., Ballard Branch Library, 5614 22nd Ave N.W., 98107
- Tuesday, June 7, 6:30-7:45 p.m., High Point Branch Library, 3411 SW Raymond, 98126
Home Retrofit Classes: If your home was built before 1980, consider attending this free, three-hour program. Learn about the permit process, time and costs involved, and more.
- Saturday, April 16, 11:00 am -2:00 pm, West Seattle Branch Library, 2306 42nd Ave. SW, 98116
- Click here for other Home Retrofit dates and times, including a Contractors Seminar on May 14.
If you have a tip or item to share, please send it our way and you may see it in an upcoming issue: e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seattle Office of Emergency Management | 105 5th Avenue South, Suite 300 | Seattle | WA | 98104
Click here to unsubscribe