The Monthly Connection
Disaster ready...prepared people,
Tell Your Friends and Neighbors about the Monthly Connection!
Stay connected to the people around you. Feel free to forward this to your friends and neighbors and help them get prepared!
Click to sign up today!
Hello Friends in Preparedness,
The January 12 earthquake that struck Haiti has brought an outpouring of support from around the globe, but we all know there is still much to be done. Our thoughts go out to all those affected.
Earthquake in Haiti - Links to Information Sources and Relief Agencies
Listed below are links to information and news sources that are providing reports about conditions in Haiti:
Reuters Alert Net
Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System
Center for International Disaster Information
FEMA National Situation Reports
World Health Organization Situation Reports on Haiti
The following links are to agencies accepting donations and supporting relief operations in Haiti:
International Red Cross
Catholic Relief Services
United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Tip of the Month – Prepare Your Valentine!
Wondering what to get your sweetie? Show your love by providing your loved one(s) with supplies to make them more disaster ready. How about a hardhat full of preparedness supplies all wrapped up nicely? Fill it with flashlights and batteries, non-perishable food items, a family photo album with contact information, work gloves, and any other items that would help sustain you through an emergency. Finding personal items for your preparedness kit can be fun, and it shows how much you really care. Or, go beyond our immediate community and give a cash donation in the name of your sweetheart this Valentine’s Day. You will be giving the most needed gift of all to those affected by the Haiti earthquake.
- Saturday, February 6, 9 am-noon – Clean and Green Neighborhood Appreciation Day
Help clean up Lower Queen Anne! Tools will be provided. Have refreshments and meet at Counterbalance Park, located at Queen Anne Ave. N. and Roy St.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 206-684-4812 for more information.
- Monday, February 15 – President’s Day is also Susan B. Anthony’s Birthday! This month gives many of us another national holiday "day off." This day is also shared by one of the great suffragist and abolitionist’s birthday. Susan B. Anthony worked for social justice on a monumental scale and helped make our world a more equitable one. We all need to thank Anthony and the many others who work every day to make our neighborhoods and communities safe and fair for all. This day could be another opportunity to get involved! Here is a great link to finding volunteer opportunities in your area. http://www.volunteer.gov/Gov/.
- Saturday, February 20 – Disaster Preparedness for Licensed Childcare Providers – Earn 7 STARS credits in this all-day workshop. Announcements and registration will be sent out soon to licensed childcare providers.
Ongoing for February
- Black History Month
February is Black History Month, an opportunity to reflect on our diverse communities. One of the building blocks to emergency preparedness is reaching out to your neighbors. Get to know the people around you and celebrate our diversity. Our information is available in multiple languages.
- Interested in amateur radio? For information on the upcoming amateur radio program and classes call Mark Sheppard at (206) 684-5027, or check out the website at www.seattleacs.com.
- SNAP (Seattle Neighborhoods Actively Prepare) Classes – SNAP classes begin in March!
* Saturday March 11, 6:30-7:45pm, Broadview Branch Library, 12755 Greenwood Ave. N, 98133
* Tuesday March 16, 6:30-7:45pm, Magnolia Branch Library, 2801 34th Ave. N, 98199
* Tuesday March 30, 6:30-7:45pm, University Branch Library, 5009 Roosevelt Way NE, 98105
For a complete listing, go to the Emergency Management Events Calendar
Seattle Office of Emergency Management | 105 5th Avenue South, Suite 300 | Seattle | WA | 98104
Click here to unsubscribe