Seattle Preschool Program
Our big day is finally here! The Seattle Preschool Program (SPP) Implementation was passed unanimously by the Seattle City Council!
Now we begin the hard work of moving this program from a plan to a reality!
Thanks to all of you who attended planning meetings, supported quality early learning, and cheered on this important effort to bring the best start to ALL preschoolers in Seattle!
A special thank you to the Seattle early learning community who has laid the ground work for quality early learning in Seattle.
The City will now be recruiting qualified preschool providers!
Step #1-Recruit preschool programs to join the Seattle Preschool Program
- We will be contracting with preschools in Seattle to provide 14 SPP classrooms in Seattle
- Potential applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Licensed by the State of Washington's Dept. of Early Learning or exempt from licensing
- Early Achievers, rated 3 or higher
- Can provide full-day preschool classrooms
- If your program is interested, and meets the above criteria, please complete the Request for Investment application and packet below to the City's Department of Education and Early Learning. Please see Addendum 1 to the RFI packet.
- We are also looking for programs that do not meet 1 or 2 of the above criteria, but are interested in joining the pathway to becoming an SPP provider; if interested, please complete this Request for Investment applicaion and packet. Please see Addendum 1 to the RFI packet.
- Have a lot of questions? Please see our FAQ sheet.
On November 4, 2014, Seattle voters approved Proposition 1B (Ordinance 124509), which will fund the four-year demonstration phase of the Seattle Preschool Program, and build toward serving 2,000 children in 100 classrooms by 2018.
Program Start-up Timeline
*No preschool selection or student enrollment will start until after the City Council votes to approve the implementaiton plan.
Implementation Plan: The Seattle Preschool Program Implementation Plan has been submited to the City Council and is pending council approval in order to begin program operations. Read the proposed implementation plan here.
Implementation Planning Timeline:
The Seattle Preschool Program is currently in the implementation planning phase. More information on each of these milestones can be found on the Implementation page.