Seattle's Healthcare Industry sector, which includes healthcare professionals, hospitals, healthcare products, healthcare services, and research and training organizations; provides 96,000 jobs and contributes over $10 billion to the local economy.
With one out of every five jobs linked to the healthcare industry sector, Seattle has a high concentration of healthcare professionals. Seattle's healthcare industry sector is also endowed with world-class hospitals, research institutions, academic medical centers, opportunities to collaborate with cutting-edge biotechnology research, and the ability to attract patients from around the world.
The benefits Seattle provides the healthcare sector include:
- Superb regional hospitals, research institutes, and academic medical centers
- High concentration of healthcare employment
- Ability to attract patients as well as public and private investment from around the world
- Opportunities to collaborate with world class biotech research firms
- Healthcare Economic Impact Flyer (pdf)
- Healthcare Economic Impact Study (pdf)
- The Washington State Hospital Association (WSHA) takes a major leadership role in issues that affect delivery, quality, accessibility, affordability and continuity of health care. The WSHA, as the primary representative of hospitals and related organizations, plays an intermediary role between these organizations and the legislative and regulatory bodies.