Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page This Department
Link to OED Home Page Link to OED Home Page Link to OED About Us Page Link to OED Contact Us Page
Start, Grow, or Green Your Business Stephen H. Johnson, Director
Business Owners Business Districts Key Industries News and Resources
Business in Seattle
Starting a Business
Guide to Starting a Business
Economic Indicators
Business Income
Job Growth
Business start-ups and closures
Educational system performance
Income Distribution
Financial Support
Technical Assistance
Workforce Development
Licensing, Permits & Taxes
Doing Business with the City of Seattle
Additional Resources
Street-Food Vending
Environmental Programs
Conservation & Clean-up
Sustainable Building Resources
Economic Development Data and Resources
Site Selection
In Good Company
Links & Resources
Economic Development Partners
Small Business Resources
Environmental Assistance
Life Sciences & Technology
City of Seattle

Workforce Development

Many small businesses have trouble finding the skilled workers they need to make their business thrive. OED partners with both the Seattle Jobs Initiative and the Seattle-King County Workforce Development Council to provide training and job placement services.

For additional assistance contact:

Matthew Houghton, Workforce Development Manager

Licensing, Permits & Taxes

Business License

Everyone doing business in the City of Seattle must obtain and annually renew a business license. If you're doing business at several locations in the City, you'll need a separate license for each venue.

King County does not require a general business license. However, all businesses operating in the State of Washington must obtain a Washington State Master Business License to register their business for state tax purposes.

Building Permits

To get a building permit, contact the Seattle Department of Planning and Development (DPD) - the agency charged with developing, administering and enforcing standards for land use, design, construction and housing within the city limits. First, you'll want to find out relevant policies and codes related to environmental protection, development, housing and community standards.

Film Permits

Permits are required for filming city streets, sidewalks, public parking, city parks, and other public property. Film permits are issued by the Mayor's Office of Film + Music.


Anyone doing business within the Seattle city limits whose business generates income above a certain level will have to pay a city business tax. The Guide to Seattle's Business License & Taxes provides answers to many questions. However, to find out about your specific circumstances, consult your tax advisor or the Seattle Municipal Code. Code Section 5.40 is Admission Taxes, 5.45 is Business License taxes, 5.52 is Gambling Taxes, 5.60 is Sales and Use Taxes.

Washington State does not have a corporate tax; however, there is a state Business & Occupation Tax. In addition, new and existing manufacturers, research and development firms and certain high technology companies in Washington can benefit from several tax incentives.

Back to Top

Doing Business with the City of Seattle

City of Seattle's contracting information for Women and Minority Business Owners

The Purchasing and Contracting Services Division (PCSD) of the Department of Executive Administration provides City departments with assistance regarding the purchasing of goods and routine services and the award and execution of public works construction projects.

Women- and minority-owned businesses can apply for certification from the Office of Minority and Women's Business Enterprises (OMWBE). Certification may help you do business with federal, state, and city agencies as well as private sector entities with Supplier Diversity programs.

Learn about doing business with the City by attending First Friday Drop-In Days.

Back to Top


Seattle Public Utilities

Seattle Public Utilities collects garbage and bills customers on a combined utilities bill. Private recycling companies provide commercial recycling services to most Seattle businesses.

Seattle City Light

Seattle City Light provides electricity to Seattle businesses through energy efficiency programs and services that have been nationally and internationally recognized for innovation and excellence. The utility offers financial incentives and technical assistance to help businesses reduce electricity use and costs.

Puget Sound Energy

Puget Sound Energy (PSE) provides all natural gas services to Seattle businesses. The utility offers incentive funding for commercial and industrial natural gas customers who install cost-effective, energy-efficient modifications to existing systems.

Back to Top

Additional Resources

Back to Top