Greenwood Avenue Businesses

Greenwood Neighborhood Disaster Business Assistance

If your business was affected by the March 9 explosion at the intersection of Greenwood Ave N and N 85th St, the City is working quickly to organize resources and services for you.

Business owners, please take a moment to share your information with us in the form at the bottom of the page, so one of our team can be in touch to offer assistance. 

If you have questions, please email AJ Cari.


(Check back for updates)

  • Apply for an economic injury distaster loan: First, read this fact sheet. Then apply online for an SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan - deadline is Feb 3, 2017. For more info, call SBA's Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955, email, or visit SBA's website,
  • Donate, volunteer, learn about community efforts: Phinney Neighborhood Association & PNA Business Advisory Group - 206-783-2244
  • Damage to your property: Call the Puget Sound Energy customer service line at 1-888-225-5773 or learn more online. For information on PSE's custom grants for commercial and multi-family gas customers, contact Pete Thorn - 425-398-6133.
  • Mortgage assistance: Washington Homeownership Resource Center 1-877-894-HOME (4663)
    • A housing counselor (free) can help you request a temporary hardship forbearance in order to keep you from missing payments and going into default. If you DO go into default, a housing counselor can help with that, too.
  • Unemployment: Employment Security Department
    • If you lost your job or are experiencing a reduction in hours - even temporarily - as a result of the explosion, you may qualify for unemployment benefits through the Employment Security Department. It is typically (though not always) about 60% of what you were earning before the change.
    • IMPORTANT: There is a one-week waiting period, so it is in your best interest to apply ASAP. During the waiting period, ESD will determine if you are eligible. There is no penalty for applying, so please don't delay!
    • Full-time workers can request standby approval for up to four weeks from the last day worked. This waives the work search requirements. So, if your place of employment will reopen and you'll be back to work in a month or so, you won't have to look for another job in the meantime.
    • If you have access to your employment records (such as pay slips), we encourage you to apply online.
    • If you are unable to access your employment records, please try ESD's new on-line customer service site or contact the claims center at 1-800-318-6022.
  • General assistance:
  • Utilities assistance: If you need help paying your utilities (water, sewer, garbage, electric, gas), you can get help from a few places.
    • Ballard Food Bank (map): If you live in the 98107, 98117, 98177, 98109, 98119 or 98199 zip code, you can receive a basic level of emergency financial assistance for eviction notices, utility shut-offs, lost IDs, or driver's licenses.
    • City of Seattle Utility Discount Program: The Utility Discount Program offers a discount of about 60% on your Seattle City Light bill and a 50% discount on your Seattle Public Utilities bill for eligible customers. This program is available for residential City Light and Seattle Public Utilities customers only and does not apply to residences used for business purposes. More info and application here.
    • Seattle City Light: Contact SCL's Customer Care Director, Kelly Enright, to discuss your payment deferral options - 206-684-3111
  • Tax filing status change, deferrals, or extensions: Contact the City's Tax Operations Manager, Jackie Mitchell - 206-684-8494.
  • Food assistance
    • Ballard Food Bank (map): If you live in the 98107, 98117, 98119 or 98199 zip code, you can utilize the food bank. It is set up like a grocery store; pick what you want within the limits based on your household size. To register, please bring a photo ID and a current proof of address (a piece of mail that you've received within the past 30 days, such as a utility bill, rent receipt, cable bill, etc.) for yourself and others living in your household (school or medical records for children living with you are okay). Food bank hours of distribution:
Tuesday 11:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Thursday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Saturday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
    • Food Stamps (DSHS): Food stamps can be used at the grocery store like a debit card. The easiest way to apply is online. You will then need to have a screening interview, either at the DSHS office or by phone. DSHS will look at your household income to see if you qualify. If you aren't working right now and your income is $0, you are almost certain to get approved. They will confirm with your employer the status of the business or of your employment. Once you are approved, you can continue to get food stamps until you return to work and start having income again. You may or may not continue to receive food stamps after that point, depending on your new income.
  • Hygiene items: For items like deodorant, razors, etc, see Ballard Food Bank in Food Assistance section above.
  • Baby items: Ballard Food Bank currently has lots of diapers (esp. small sizes), formula, and baby food. They can provide this to families impacted by the explosion regardless of your zip code of residence. See Food Assistance section above for more info on Ballard Food Bank hours of operation.
  • Signage, graphics, displays: Contact Jeff LeVasseur at Vinyl Attraction, LLC, 19906 Aurora Ave N, Shoreline 98117 - 206-774-9826
    • Free 3' x 5' banner for affected businesses' storefronts during building repairs
    • Discounts for replacing graphics and signage after building repairs are complete
  • Student loans:
    • Federal student loans: Payments on Federal Direct loans, FFEL loans, and Perkins loans can be deferred due to unemployment and economic hardship. Even if you don't qualify for a deferment, you can still request "forbearance." A deferment means you don't make payments AND your loan debt does not accrue interest. With a forbearance, you make no payment, but your debt continues to accrue interest. There is no penalty for requesting or receiving either.
      • For Direct Loans and FFEL Program loans, contact your loan servicer.
      • For Perkins Loans, contact the school you were attending when you received the loan.
    • Private student loans: Even most private student loans can be placed on hold temporarily in a hardship. Contact your loan servicer (the place you send your payments) to find out what they can do.
  • Cash:
    • Employment Security Department: See Unemployment section above.
    • DSHS Emergency Cash Assistance: If you need a one-time cash payment to get or keep safe housing or utilities, you may be eligible for the Additional Requirements for Emergent Needs (AREN) or the Diversion Program. To be eligible for these programs, you must meet ALL the requirements listed below. If you meet all of these requirements, a DSHS case manager can tell you more about these programs.
      • Meet eligibility requirements for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), State Family Assistance (SFA), or Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)
      • Have an emergency housing, utility or other need; and
      • Have a good reason that you had insufficient funds to pay your housing or utility costs.

Business Owners

If you were a business impacted by the Greenwood Explosion, please take a moment to share the following information with us, so one of our team can be in touch to offer assistance.