Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page This Department
Link to OED Home Page Link to OED Home Page Link to OED About Us Page Link to OED Contact Us Page
Start, Grow, or Green Your Business Stephen H. Johnson, Director
Business Owners Business Districts Key Industries News and Resources
Letter from the Mayor
How to Use This Guide
Abbreviations Used in This Guide
Hints for Successful Business District Improvements
Beautification Projects
Flower Planters
Holiday Lighting
Metro Bus Shelters
Public Art
Street Trees
Clean and Green Seattle Initiative
Enhancement Projects
Street Furniture
Pedestrian Lighting
Bicycle Racks
Newspaper Boxes
Only in Seattle Initiative grants
Forming a Business Improvement Area
City of Seattle Grants and Funding
Litter Cans
Sidewalk Cleaning
Spring Clean
Street Cleaning
Street Paving
Building/Fire Code Violations
Managing Parking
Public Safety
Street Light & Power Line Repair
Alley & Security Lighting
Crime Prevention
Emergency Preparedness
District Identification Signs
Traffic Controls
Use of Public Areas
City Parks
Sidewalk Cafes
Street Vendors
Additional Information

Create a Thriving Business District


The City has a wonderful collection of parks and facilities for use at a relatively low cost. If you are planning a special event or an improvement project that involves the use of one of Seattle ’s parks, you will need to apply for a permit. To plan a public gathering, a festival or other organized entertainment that involves the use of a park or a park facility, contact Jeff Hodges at 206-684-4080 at the Department of Parks & Recreation for assistance.

Park-use permits allow park and recreation officials to schedule events in order to prevent conflicts, make necessary arrangements, provide personnel and facilities if needed, and avoid overuse.

Frequently asked questions:

How do I get a permit for the use of a City park?

To secure a park-use permit, you need to file an application and pay a $75 fee. If your event is a religious or political activity protected by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the fee is $50. Electrical or water hook-ups may require an additional $55 fee. Apply early; you should apply for a permit at least two months in advance. An application may need any of the following:

  • Public liability insurance in an approved form.
  • Special approvals: Review by building and food establishment and handlers permits, business and/or tradeshow license or admission tax registration or additional Departmental review and services.
  • Performance bond or deposit.

What if I apply for a permit less than 2 months in advance?

Applications will be accepted with less advance notice with the understanding that a permit may have to be denied because the Department of Parks & Recreation lacks enough time to route the request or make appropriate preparations. With less than 6 days notice, a $75 late application fee is required in addition to any other fees.

Where do I apply for a permit or get more detailed information?

A publication titled, “Scheduling an Event in Seattle Parks ” and/or an application for a use permit can be obtained in person or by mail from the Seattle Parks and Recreation Special Events Office, 860 Terry Ave. North , Seattle, WA 98109. The Event Scheduling Office is open Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM. To request a copy by mail at 206-684-4080 or download at:

Are there any other fees to pay?

If you plan to sell merchandise or use the park for commercial purposes, there are additional fees. 10% of gross receipts from sales of merchandise must be paid to the City. Commercial use fees range from $100, depending on the type of use.