Seattle DPD is now the Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections. DPD's City Planning division is now the Office of Planning & Community Development.

Master Use Permit (MUP) Revisions

See also: 

What Is It?

A revision to a land use / master use permit (MUP) allows you to submit plan changes to an issued permit. There are two types of revisions: minor and major.

A minor MUP revision has little or no effect on the design or environmental impact of your issued permit. The revision must: 

  • Be consistent with the current code
  • Not create or increase any inconsistencies with the current code for the original permit 
  • Not require public notice
  • Not require any new appealable approvals

If we determine that your proposed changes can be approved as a minor revision, we will issue an update to your original permit.

A major revision requires a separate permit. The new permit may use the early design guidance from the previous MUP. The revision must: 

  • Be consistent with the current code
  • Have public notice
  • Have a new, appealable decision published

Rules to Follow

  • You can submit revisions as long as the permit has not expired or been finalized.
  • Shoreline permits must follow different rules in shoreline zones, which are governed by the Shoreline Management Act (RCW 90.58), the City’s Shoreline Master Program (SMC 23.60), and the Washington Administrative Code (WAC). The state’s rules relevant to shoreline permit and enforcement procedures are found in WAC 173-27. We will process shoreline permits as a minor revision. See Tip 224B, Master Use Permit (MUP) Revisions, for more information.

How Much Does It Cost?

For minor revisions you pay our hourly fee when you submit your revisions. For major revisions you pay a minimum fee and notice fees. We will invoice you additional hourly fees for both minor and major revisions, as applicable. See our Fee Subtitle for detailed fees.

How Long Does It Take?

How long it takes to get the final permit depends on how complex your project is and how many corrections, if any, you need to make. However, we do try to finish the initial review within two weeks for minor revisions and within 8 weeks for major revisions. 

Steps to Get a Revision

1. Research

Contact the land use planner assigned to your original MUP to determine if your revision is a major or minor revision.

2. Apply

  1. Complete the application forms, including a preliminary application if you need a major revision
  1. Provide a summary letter explaining the changes, including supporting documentation for the revision
  2. Submit 2 sets (minor revision) or 4 sets (major revision) of the revised plan sheets only, minimum size 18 by 18 inches
  3. Highlight or cloud the changes on the revised sheets 
  4. Apply for your revision

What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us

  • Call us at (206) 684-8850
  • Visit the Applicant Service Center
    700 5th Avenue, 20th floor
    M, W, F: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    T, Th: 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    (arrive before 2:00 p.m. for walk-in service)