Over the past few months DPD has been running a pilot program called Priority Green Permitting. This program is a collaboration between DPD permitting operations and the City Green Building team. It is meant to encourage innovative projects that can serve as visible models of high performance and sustainable development. The new process:
- Provides a single point of contact (project facilitator) for applicants demonstrating commitment to deep green, innovative, high performance projects that exceed current codes and standards
- Provides assistance by an integrated team of design and permitting staff
- Facilitates and coordinates land use and building permit review for development proposals with an interdisciplinary team of reviewers
- Provides support and facilitation in navigation of complex code issues
- Provides opportunity for early identification of code constraints for innovative proposals, and need for potential code changes
In order to be considered for the Priority Green Permitting pilot, applicants are asked to provide design detail on a Green Building Matrix. Points are awarded in five categories reflecting the Mayor’s efforts in green building: energy and climate protection, healthy people and communities, restore our waters, green Seattle initiative, and waste reduction and recycling.