Log in to Project Portal

Side Sewer Contractor Registration

See also: 

What Is It?

You need to be a Registered Side Sewer Contractor (RSSC) to repair or construct a side sewer in the public right-of-way. You do not need to become an RSSC if you are only working on private property.

When you become an RSSC, remember that:

  • You must renew your license each year
  • You can check your status and view a full list of current RSSCs
  • The exam costs $100
  • The registration fee is $200
  • The annual renewal fee is $150

Annual Registration Renewal
Your registration expires on December 31st of each year and must be renewed.

To renew, you must submit a completed registration renewal form, and include:

  • A copy of your current City of Seattle business license
  • The renewal fee of $150

If you don’t renew your registration within one year after it expires, you must provide proof that you met the initial registration requirements to become an RSSC.

The Exam

Our exam will test you on general code knowledge related to side sewer construction, focusing on requirements for working in the right-of-way.

  • The exam is a closed book, multiple-choice test with 45 questions
  • You need a score of at least 80 percent to pass the test
  • The test is scheduled by appointment; call (206) 684-3839 to schedule

Exam Materials

You can purchase a hard copy the of the exam materials on the 21st Floor of the Seattle Municipal Tower for $45.00. You can also access them online at the following links.

Steps to Become a Contractor

Once you or someone from your company has passed the exam, follow these steps to complete your registration.

  1. Complete the RSSC registration checklist
  2. Complete the RSSC registration form and pay the $200 registration fee
  3. Send us a list of everybody working for your company that is certified and allowed to get side sewer permits for work in the right-of-way
  4. Provide proof of a current Washington state contractor's license
  5. Provide proof of a current city business license
  6. File a certificate of insurance
  7. Post and maintain a bond in the sum of $30,000

Recommended Reading


What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us