If you’re experiencing difficulties with the Seattle Services Portal, please read our Frequently Asked Questions. If you need technical assistance, please contact SeattleServices_ITHelp@seattle.gov. For other assistance, please see our list of support contacts.
 Log in to Seattle Services Portal SDCI

Shoreline Master Program

What Is It?

The Shoreline Master Program (23.60A) regulates development in the city’s shoreline environments to:

  • Protect shoreline ecosystems
  • Respond to pollution discharges into bodies of water
  • Encourage water-dependent uses
  • Provide for maximum public use and enjoyment of the shorelines
  • Preserve, enhance, and increase views of and access to the water

Our ordinance requires that you:

Other Resources

For emergency spill response: contact Department of Ecology’s 24-hour hotline at 1-800-OILS-911. To find out if the spill is also a shoreline violation, call the Seattle DCI complaint line at (206) 615-0808.

For pollution discharges into lakes, creeks, and public storm drains: contact Seattle Public Utilities. To find out if the spill is also a shoreline violation, call (206) 615-0808.

What It Isn’t

This ordinance does not cover:

Read the Code

Proposed Changes

To help explain the permitting requirements and process for replacing a floating on water residence or house barge, SDCI has drafted Tip 229A, Shoreline Permitting Requirements for Floating on Water Residences (FOWR) and House Barges. Please see below for a link to review this document.

Additionally, SDCI is amending the definition of "vessel" in the Shoreline Master Program to address a Seattle Hearing Examiner's decision that ruled that an existing vessel with a broken engine is not a vessel. The SEPA determination for this proposed amendment is now available and links to the decision and supporting documents are included below. We're accepting public comments through July 30, 2018; see the SEPA notice for instructions on how to comment.

What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us

  • Call us at (206) 684-8850