Fuel Gas Code
What Is It?
The Seattle Fuel Gas Code regulates design and installation of fuel gas distribution piping systems, appliances, appliance venting systems, combustion air provisions, gaseous hydrogen systems, and motor vehicle gas fuel stations. Fuel gas includes natural, liquid petroleum, and manufactured gases.
Gas piping permits are issued by Public Health - Seattle & King County.
Seattle has adopted the 2015 International Fuel Gas Code, with amendments specific to our jurisdiction.
What It Isn't
With a few exceptions, the Fuel Gas Code does not cover:
- Utility-owned piping and equipment (anything before the point of delivery)
- Single-family houses, duplexes, and townhouses with up to three stories with separate entrances
- Liquefied petroleum gas installations which are required to comply with Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code (NFPA 58) and National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54)
See sections 103.1 of the code for detailed information about exemptions.
Read the Code
2015 Seattle Fuel Gas Code
2012 Seattle Fuel Gas Code
This is a read-only version of the 2012 Seattle Fuel Gas Code. You can buy a full version from iccsafe.org.
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1, Administration
- Chapter 2, Definitions
- Chapter 3, General Regulations
- Chapter 4, Gas Piping Installations
- Chapter 5, Chimneys and Vents
- Chapter 6, Specific Appliances
- Chapter 7, Gaseous Hydrogen Systems
- Chapter 8, Referenced Standards
- Appendix A, Sizing and Capacities of Gas Piping
- Appendix B, Sizing of Venting Systems Serving Appliances Equipped with Draft hoods, Category I Appliances and Appliances Listed for Use with Type B Vents
- Appendix C, Exit Terminals of Mechanical Draft and Direct-Vent Venting Systems
- Appendix D, Recommended Procedure for Safety Inspection of an Existing Appliance Installation
As of January 1, 2017, you must design your Seattle projects using the 2015 Seattle Fuel Gas Code. We expect electronic versions of the codes will be available on our web site, and print versions available through our Public Resource Center, by February 28, 2017.