If you have questions about the Seattle Services Portal, please search our Help Center and read our information article. If you still need help, please see our list of customer service contacts. Thank you for your patience as we transition to the new system.
 Log in to Seattle Services Portal SDCI

Small Efficiency Dwelling Units

See also: 

What Is It?

We regulate small efficiency dwelling units (also known as micro-housing), congregate residences (group homes), and similar forms of development.

  • Each small efficiency dwelling unit must have a minimum room size of 150 square feet and a full kitchen or kitchenette, and must meet the requirements in Director’s Rule 9-2017, Small Efficiency Dwelling Units.
  • Generally, congregate residences are only allowed in urban villages and urban centers in these zones:
    • Neighborhood Commercial 3 (NC3)
    • Midrise multifamily (MR)
    • Highrise multifamily (HR)
    • Seattle Mixed (SM)
    • Commercial (C1)
    • Downtown zones
  • Certain congregate residences, such as college dormitories and state licensed senior housing, are allowed in all zones that allow multi-family development.

Small efficiency dwelling units and congregate residences need to go through Design Review, based on the size of the development:

  • 5,000 – 11,999 square feet: Streamlined Design Review
  • 12,000 – 19,999 square feet: Administrative Design Review
  • 20,000+ square feet: Design Review Board review

See the Micro-Housing code development page for more information and the project history.

Read the Code

Proposed Changes




What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us

  • Call us at (206) 684-8850