Little Saigon Business District
Little Saigon is Seattle's social, cultural, and economic hub for Vietnamese and Southeast Asian communities.
What's Happening Now?
We are working with the Seattle Chinatown International District Public Development Authority (SCIDpda) and the Little Saigon community on short-term and long-term improvements and reinventing Little Saigon's business district and public spaces. Key planning topics include neighborhood identity, affordable commercial space, public safety, on-street parking, and economic development. Little Saigon has great potential that we want to capitalize on as resources allow.
In May 2016, Global Green USA
conducted a site visit as part of their neighborhood sustainability assessment
for Chinatown/International District, including Little Saigon. We are working with the Seattle Department of Transportation on a street concept plan for Little Saigon. After engaging the Little Saigon community at outreach events in summer 2016, we anticipate the street concept plan to be completed in Fall 2016.
We are working with Little Saigon business owners, cultural and service organizations, and other community members to work on the following goals:
- Create a prosperous business district
- Enliven everyone's experience of Little Saigon
- Make Little Saigon an attractive and safe neighborhood
- Improve customer and visitor parking
- Find grants and other funding for improvement projects
The End Result
We anticipate the following results from our Little Saigon Business District planning effort:
- Increased community capacity to accomplish improvement projects for the neighborhood
- A strong vision for the future of Little Saigon
- Recommendations and strategies that may be implemented by the community in the near-term and long-term
- Grant applications and funding proposals to implement projects emerging from planning process
- An ongoing, broad-based advisory group to initiate and guide implementation of strategies and projects