Trade Licensing Program
The DPD Trade Licensing Program issues licenses for tradespeople in Seattle who are:
- Operating boilers
- Conducting gas piping installations
- Operating & installing refrigeration/air conditioning equipment
To obtain a trade license, you must:
- Read the applicable ordinance and determine the requirements for prequalification (available in the “recommended reading” section of each webpage listed above).
- Review the trade license requirements (available on this website).
- Submit an application
- Schedule and complete a written exam. Grades I, II, & III Boiler Operators and Supervisory levels also require an oral examination after passing the written examination.
If you need language assistance to complete the exam, you can bring an interpreter or translation device with you. For more information read our Do you Need a Trade License? brochure, which is available in these languages: Amharic, Cambodian / Khmer, Chinese / 中文, Korean / 한국어, Lao / Laotian / Phaasaa Laao, Oromiffa, Russian / русский язык,Somali / af Soomaali, Spanish / Español, Tagalog, Thai, Tigrinya, Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
Important facts regarding your license:
- All licenses must be renewed on an annual basis. You can now renew and pay for trade licenses online.
- All licenses have a grace period of one year after which a reexamination will be required to reinstate expired licenses.
- You must obtain your license within 90 days of passing the examination.
- Boiler operators are required to show proof of completing an approved "refresher course" once every five years. Due dates are listed on license renewal forms every year. You may also check boiler operator records online.
January 30, 2012