On this page:
- Manufactured in accordance with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and bear the ASME Code symbol stamp
- Registered with the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessels. (Exception: Cast iron boilers and miniature pressure vessels.)
- If your boiler is to be used for space/comfort heating, it must be within the sizing requirements specified by the Seattle Energy Code
For boilers, consider the proposed location of the installation:
- Have you accounted for the venting system (how you will route the boiler exhaust gases)? Note: This is not a consideration for electric boilers.
- Have you considered how you will provide combustion air to the boiler room or enclosure?
- Is there a floor drain in the boiler room?
- Is the boiler room large enough to allow for the required access clearance around and above the boiler?
How to Apply
Installation permits for boilers and pressure vessels are processed at the DPD Over-the-Counter (OTC) Permit Desk, located on the 20th floor of Seattle Municipal Tower at 700 Fifth Avenue in downtown Seattle (directions).
Permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and the wait time is typically 10-20 minutes. When the permit is processed, you will be given the "site copy" which must be posted at the job site.
Options for Regular Permit Applicants
If you install boilers and/or pressure vessels on a regular basis, you may wish to obtain a copy of the current fees for these permits and some blank permit application forms.
Fill out the permit application form and mail three copies, along with a check payable to "City of Seattle" for the proper amount to:
ATTN: OTC Permit Desk
700 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2000
P.O. Box 34019
Seattle, WA 98124-4019
If you perform a high volume of installations, you may wish to set up an advance deposit (escrow) account with DPD (download escrow account form). Escrow accounts require the contractor maintain a minimum balance in the account and fees for permit applications are automatically drawn from that account as you submit them. For further details on setting up an escrow account, call the OTC Permit Desk at (206) 684-8464.
September 1, 2010