

Levy to Move Seattle Oversight Committee Meeting

[Levy Oversight Committee bylaws – adopted April 2017](#)

[Move Seattle Levy legislation, approved June 29, 2015](#)

Date/Time: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 / 5:00 – 7:00 PM

Co-chairs: Rachel Ben-Shmuel, Samuel Ferrara

Location: Video Conference

Members present on the phone: Joseph Laubach, Samuel Ferrara, Vicky Clarke, Inga Manskopf, Kevin Werner, Councilmember (CM) Alex Pedersen, Ron Posthuma, Rachel Ben-Shmuel, Geraldine Poor (Freight Board Rep), Emily WP (Transit Advisory Board Rep), Dennis Gathard, Jennifer Lehman, Maimoona Rahim (Bike Board Rep)

Members Absent: Ben Noble (City Budget Office), Lisa Bogardus, Hester Serebrin

Guests: Kalen Carney, Kris Castleman, Katie Olsen, Scott, Clarke, Matt Gemberling, Francisca Stefan, Brian Sperry (all SDOT), Elliot Helmbrecht (Mayor's Office), Joanna Cullen, Gordon Padelford

MEETING CALL TO ORDER: 5:02 PM

Welcome and roll call

Rachel B: Conducted a roll call for committee members and an overview of the agenda. Elliot H introduced City staff.

Public Comment:

Rachel B: Asked if anyone wanted to give public comment. No public comment.

Agenda item #1: Portfolio Status Update

Matt G: Provided an [update on the 2022 Levy Portfolio Status Update Report](#). The update included the status of each of the 30 levy programs relative to the 2015 and 2018 workplan goals and identified the programs were on track to meet these goals. The update also addressed questions, from the October meeting, about the recommended projects that will increase progress towards the original 2015 levy goals and the projects that did not make the recommended project list.

Joe L: I want to thank Elliot and Matt for meeting with me and explaining the resources remaining and what can be done with them. This seems like a good way to move forward.

Rachel B: Can you explain why Alaskan Way is on the list and what the project limits are?

Matt: I'll get back to you after talking to the program owner.

Inga M (via email): Please define bike facilities.

Matt G: Bike facilities are either a protected bike lane, neighborhood greenway or bike lanes.

Jennifer L: Kudos that the new sidewalk program will meet the 2015 goal. I was wondering about the different types of sidewalks being delivered and the Beacon Ave project?

Emily WP: How do you determine if the project meets safety or is it binary in your ranking?

Matt G: We assess the desired improvement and the safety elements. It's not based on an engineered design.

Kevin W: What's SDOT thinking about the passage of the federal infrastructure bill?

Matt G: We are excited about the infrastructure bill passing and looking forward to learning more about how we can leverage it to progress the levy portfolio even farther.

Ron P: Maybe we can backfill some of the transit program funding with the federal infrastructure funding.

Matt G: One issue is whether or not Metro can operate RR corridors on some of the transit routes in the program as they don't have that in their budget.

Agenda item #2: Q3 2021 Levy Report

Katie O: Provided [an overview of the Q3 2021 Levy Report](#). Over \$157M has been invested in levy work in the first three quarters of 2021. We completed the John Lewis Memorial and the Fairview Ave N Bridges, broke ground on the Madison BRT project, and continued construction on the Delridge Way RR project. Vision zero safety projects are under way on Sand Point Way, 15th Ave S, Lake City Way, and we plan to begin the 23rd Ave project in Q4. We have completed 6 protected bike lane projects totaling 2.4 miles and 2.5 miles of neighborhood greenways. We have repaired sidewalks, installed customer service requested curb ramps, installed new sidewalk blocks, and a lot more so far this year.

Rachel B: Are there customer requests for curb ramps?

Katie O: Yes. We typically deliver between 150 and 200 curbs ramps every year, that were requested by customers.

Agenda item #3: Committee business

Board discussion of budget and LOC letter

Rachel B: I'm not sure why this is on the agenda since we sent the letter already. Any comments on it?

Sam F: I was happy with the letter.

CM Pederson: We received the letter. I recommend resending it because City Council offices have been immersed in budget amendments and meeting tight budget deadlines.

Vicky C: I did resend the letter a week ago to the budget chair.

Elliot H: I want to reassure you that we read your letters and discuss your input in meetings regularly.

Inga M: We had talked about writing a letter to the incoming mayor. Do we want to do that still?

Rachel B: That's a great idea.

Inga M: I can draft the letter.

December meeting and discuss possible retreat

Rachel B: There's board elections and the retreat. Elections for vice chair, secretary and two board members.

Sam F: Inga is interested in the co-chair position. I think Kevin is willing to stay in the secretary role.

Kevin W: For the retreat, we could discuss lesson learned about the next levy.

Subcommittee and modal board reports - Inga M

Jen L: In October we discussed the updated Pedestrian Implementation Plan. At our next meeting we'll be discussing the Alki Stay Healthy Street.

Maimoona R: We heard from SDOT about the Burke Gilman Trail project and an update on the Georgetown to Downtown trail and the new Seattle Transportation Plan (STP). There's still a lot of information we don't yet about the STP.

Emily WP: At our last meeting, we had a briefing on the STP as well. We also focused on the Seattle Transit Benefit District and prioritization of future funding for projects.

CM Pederson: In terms of the Transportation Benefit District spending in 2022, there's a large reserve and I wanted you to be aware of it. I think the renewal risk is low.

Geraldine P: We are interested in the STP as well. And we are interested in another multimodal fair, maybe in Spring 2022.

Meeting minutes for approval (October 5, 2021) – Rachel B, Sam F

Ron P: I motion to approve.

Sam F: I second the motion.

Rachel B: Minutes are approved.

Meeting minutes for approval (April 6, 2021) – Rachel B, Sam F

Elliot H: I'll get the minutes to you Rachel.

Adjourn: 6:56 PM

Action items

Action items below capture tasks from previous meetings. Completed items will remain on action item tracker for one additional set of meeting minutes to capture "complete" status and will then be removed.

Action item	Meeting	Lead	Status	Deadline
Look into the language "to minimize harm" used in the draft principles of success	June 1, 2021	Elliot H		
Follow up on public comment about NSF project #2019-160	June 1, 2021	Kristen S, Chris G		
Follow up on public comment about Green Lake Way project	Sept 7, 2021	Chris G		
Revise the September minutes to reflect that the Green Lake Way project is not levy funded	Oct5, 2021	Chris G		

DRAFT