CityDesign staff offers design consulting services to fellow City departments and other agencies as well as private developers.
CityDesign's assistance includes:
Through its assistance, CityDesign is an active parner in the design phase, in many cases improving or affecting the early decision making process. CityDesign facilitates or participates in project meetings on topics such as urban design, sustainable practices, how to meet city policies and goals, regional environmental matters and how to take advantage of creative opportunities.
Developers and their consultants have welcomed CityDesign staff's participation and ideas as well as the opportunity to collaborate as a team in a creative environment. They especially like CityDesign's ability to explore design opportunities with other City departments such as Seattle Department of Transportation, Seattle Departnemtn of Parks and Recreation and Seattle Public Utilities.
The ideas CityDesign proposes are sometimes incorporated into the projects; at other times, they are considered for review and further study. The project developers' consultants and contractors, who also participate in the early design process, can clarify if the proposed ideas are feasible, economically sound and worthy of inclusion.
Through its urban design assistance, CityDesign has:
- reduced the number of parking stalls and parking basements and adding flex vehicles stalls
- screened parking garages, utilities and service areas with retail, landscape or innovative ideas
- improved the pedestrian environment by using the elements green streets
- incorporated art or activating edges with retail
- increase lighting levels
- saved energy or water through sustainable practices with the Green Building Team
- proposed co-location or sharing of services with other developments, when possible
- made suggestions of improvements through innovative designs from other examples or by making them specific to our own conditions.