Side Sewer Contractor Registration
What Is It?
You need to be a Registered Side Sewer Contractor (RSSC) to repair or construct a side sewer in the public right-of-way. You do not need to become an RSSC if you are only working on private property.
When you become an RSSC, remember that:
- You must renew your license each year
- You can check your status and view a full list of current RSSCs
- The exam costs $100
- The registration fee is $200
- The annual renewal fee is $150
Annual Registration Renewal
Your registration expires on December 31st of each year and must be renewed.
To renew, you must submit a completed registration renewal form, and include:
- A copy of your current City of Seattle business license
- The renewal fee of $150
If you don’t renew your registration within one year after it expires, you must provide proof that you met the initial registration requirements to become an RSSC.
Our exam will test you on general code knowledge related to side sewer construction, focusing on requirements for working in the right-of-way.
- The exam is a closed book, multiple-choice test with 45 questions
- You need a score of at least 80 percent to pass the test
- The test is scheduled by appointment; call (206) 684-3839 to schedule
You can access exam materials at the following links.
Steps to Become a Contractor
Check out the RSSC registration checklist and RSSC information flyer for details about how to become a contractor.
- Complete the RSCC registration renewal form and email it to SCI_RSSC_SideSewer@seattle.gov.
- Pay the $200 registration fee.
- Provide proof of a current Washington State Contractor’s license.
- Provide proof a current city of Seattle business license.
- File a certificate of insurance and an additional insured endorsement as detailed in the RSSC insurance transmittal form. Your agent should email them to SCI_RSSC_SideSewer@seattle.gov. Do not mail them.
- Post and maintain a bond in the amount of $30,000 as described in the RSSC bond instructions which are explained at the top of the RSSC bond form. The form should be mailed to SDCI, attention Side Sewer Program. We cannot accept a copy at the desk.