Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page This Department
Link to Civil Service Commission Home Page Link to Civil Service Commission Home Page Link to Civil Service Commission About Us Page Link to Civil Service Commission Contact Us Page
Jennifer A. Greenlee, Executive Director

News & Updates
Monthly Meetings
Resources & Links
Agenda & Minute Archives

Sign up to receive email updates





What should I know before I file an appeal with the Civil Service Commission?

Am I a regular employee covered under civil service?
Note that generally employees that are probationary, intermittent, or temporary are NOT covered by Civil Service. Also NOT covered are employees listed as exempt in SMC 4.13 Exemptions from Civil Service Systems. Most full time regular non-probationary employees are covered.

Have I been subjected to discipline?
If you have received a final notice of a demotion, suspension or termination you can appeal if you file within 20 days. See Personnel Rule 1.3.7.

Did something happen to me that violated the Personnel Rules or SMC 4.04?
If you believe there has been a violation unrelated to discipline, you must go through the intradepartmental grievance procedure first. Review the Personnel Rules and SMC 4.04.

Have I gone through the intradepartmental grievance procedure?
If you are alleging a violation of the Personnel Rules or SMC 4.04 you must first go through the intradepartmental grievance procedure. Refer to Personnel Rule 1.4Employee Grievance Procedure and SMC 4.04.240 Employee Grievance Procedure. Your management or human resources may have additional information on the procedure within your department.

When did the event or incident happen?
You must file your appeal within 20 days of the final discipline letter or 20 days after the intradepartmental grievance procedure concludes for non-disciplinary allegations.

Am I a member of a union and covered by a collective bargaining agreement?
Read your agreement and check with a shop steward or representative from your union. You may have the ability to file a union grievance. Note that you CANNOT pursue both a grievance through the union and a grievance through the Civil Service Commission. Most CBA's can be found on the inweb through the Department of Personnel.

Do I have the names, positions, and contact information for the parties involved and the parties that need to be notified?
This may include witnesses, management, and human resources. You may be able to find information online through the City staff directory.

What other options do I have?
For issues of discrimination, harassment and retaliation you should contact the Seattle Office for Civil Rights. Appeals with those allegations are referred to SOCR and not heard by the Commission.

Sometimes issues can be resolved through mediation with the parties involved. You can contact the City's Alternative Dispute Resolution program.


Appeals Log of Decisions: A Summary of Orders, Memorandums and Decisions Issued by CSC Hearing Officer (Examiner), the Office of the Hearing Examiner and/or the Commission click here