Local Food Action Initiative
In the Works/Accomplishments
The City and community partners have taken action to meet the Initiative’s ten goals. These are only a few examples of what we have done.
For more details, read:
- Establishing a Regional Food Policy Council at the Puget Sound Regional Council.
- Supporting the development of a coordinated work plan among various City departments through the City’s Food Systems Interdepartmental Team.
- Developing the Seattle Farm Bill Principles and encouraging other local governments and partners to advocate for appropriate policy in the federal Farm Bill’s renewal.
- Adopting land use code changes for community gardens, urban agriculture, farmers markets, and small/mid-sized grocery stores.
- Assisting neighborhoods to include community food planning in the neighborhood plan process.
- Modifying the Seattle Green Factor by offering a bonus for food production, including green roofs.
- Authorizing a pilot program to collect food waste in multi-family buildings, starting in 2013.
- Starting development of a Transfer of Development Rights agreement with King County to protect farms that provide produce for Seattle farmers markets.
Many City of Seattle departments are taking action toward a stronger food system:
the Department of Neighborhoods, Office of Economic Development, Department of Planning and Development, Seattle Department of Transportation, Office of Emergency Management, Office of Sustainability and Environment, Seattle Public Utilities, Human Services Department.
We also work with many non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and government agencies, including the Regional Food Policy Council, King County, Puget Sound Regional Council, the Growth Management Planning Council, Public Health-Seattle & King County, King County Conservation District, the University of Washington, Washington State University Extension, and community colleges. Beyond these groups, thousands of residents and numerous of food and agriculture businesses and organizations participate in this work.