Looking for current legislation? Need the exact text of a City of Seattle law? Interested in the history of City policy? The City Clerk's Online Information Resources site provides access to current legislative records as well as records documenting the history, development, and activities of the agencies and elected officials of Seattle. The guides linked to below may be helpful in getting started. Clerk and Archives staff are also available to help you with your research.
City Clerk Guides and Research Tools
- Citizen Engagement Guide - How to participate in Seattle City Government and an overview of the legislative process.
- Legislative History Research Guide
- Researching City Laws (City Council Guide)
- Legislative Glossary
- Seattle Municipal Code Frequently Asked Questions
- Historic Municipal Code Files Index
- Citizens' Initiatives, Referenda and Charter Amendment Guides
- Guide to the Records of the City Clerk - Describes paper and electronic records managed by the City Clerk.
- Guide to City Clerk's Online Information Resources - Overview of main online Clerk and Archives databases.
- Seattle Geographic Indexing Atlas - Map used for geographic indexing of Clerk and Archives records by neighborhood. Includes search on legislation and photos by neighborhood.
Additionally the Seattle Municipal Archives has an extensive guide on how to search for specific archival assets. Questions about Seattle Municipal Archives items can be directed to them at (206) 233-7807 or (206) 684-8353 or by emailing email@example.com.