Governor John Harte McGraw
A triangular park bordered by Stewart Street, Fifth Avenue and Westlake Avenue
Funded by Seattle Chamber of Commerce and gifted to the city of Seattle
A full-length historic bronze statue of the second governor of Washington state, John Harte McGraw, stands in McGraw Place near Westlake Center in Seattle. Artist Richard Brooks was commissioned to create the sculpture shortly after the death of the governor in 1910. The bronze features McGraw in a suit, cane and overcoat in hand, staring determinedly into the distance. McGraw was governor from 1893-1897 and was instrumental in the creation of the Ship Canal which, through a series of manmade cuts, connects Lake Washington with Puget Sound via several preexisting bodies of water, including Union Bay, Portage Bay, Lake Union, Salmon Bay and Shilshole Bay.
Earlier, as King County sheriff, McGraw protected property during the Seattle fire in 1889 and was a major figure in keeping the peace during disturbances against Chinese laborers in the late 1880's.