Alonzo Victor Lewis
Dr. Mark A Matthew
1941

LOCATION
Denny Park
100 Dexter Ave. N.

FUNDING SOURCE
Memorial gift


Located in Seattle's first public park dedicated in 1884, the historic bronze bust of Dr. Mark A. Matthews sits atop a tall base inscribed with the dedication "Preacher of the word of God and friend of man." The bust, by artist Alonzo Lewis, is a tribute to the Presbyterian minister and lawyer famous for his "Forces of Decency," a movement that inspired city government reform in 1906. The Sunday school he established in the Bell Tower district was also known by period sources as "a potent remedy for juvenile delinquency." He died in 1940.