The Seattle Animal Shelter strives to have an enjoyable, innovative and organized volunteer program that benefits the animals and animal-lovers of Seattle. Volunteers work 365 days a year and are extremely dedicated. To volunteer at the shelter, volunteers must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be able to commit to a weekly two-hour shift.
- Be able to commit to six consecutive months of service.
- Be able to commit to scheduled volunteer times.
- Be able to squat, bend, twist, lift and stand for long periods while working directly with the animals.
- Attend required training classes.
- Be able to work independently without direct supervision.
- Have previous large dog handling experience if applying for a dog handling program (e.g., Dog Walking, Get Fit with Fido, Adoption Assistants-Dog)
For more information on volunteer opportunities, check out our Volunteer Opportunities Directory.
To view our current volunteer opportunities, please visit our Volunteer Match page today! Please note that the shelter receives many volunteer inquiries. However, we are only able to process volunteer applications for opportunities posted on our Volunteer Match page. Programs in need of the most help are our foster teams.