Third-Tier Water Rate Appeal Process
How to appeal a third-tier water rate charge
Circumstances eligible for appeal:
- One or more household members who require water-intensive medical treatments or convalescent care
- More than one single-family residence served by a single water meter
- Boarding house or multi-family living arrangements
- Hardship circumstances that merit special consideration
Note: For any of these circumstances, you may be eligible for exemption from third-tier water rates or a recalculation of your third-tier consumption threshold.
- First, a customer must receive a bill containing third-tier water charges that they wish to appeal.
- Submit a written request explaining why the charges are being appealed, and how the request fits within the circumstances listed above as eligible for appeal.
- Enclose a copy of the bill showing the third-tier charges being appealed, or be sure to provide complete identifying information including name, address, account number, bill date and amount of third-tier charges being appealed. Please include a daytime phone number.
- Bill payment should be made in the usual way and not sent with the appeal. Be sure to pay all charges on the bill other than third-tier water charges.
- The appeal information should be sent by one of the following methods:
Seattle Public Utilities
Attn: Utility Hearing Officer
700 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2777
PO Box 34027
Seattle, WA 98124-4027
Fax: (206) 684-3811
Customers can expect a response within 30 days. Pending a response, unpaid third-tier charges are not subject to credit action or late payment charges.
Reduce Water Use
Links to other sites
Saving Water Partnership