- Environment & Conservation
- Construction & Development
- Businesses & Key Accounts
- Help & FAQs
- About Us
Drinking Water Rates
- Chester Morse Lake is part of the 90,000-acre Cedar River Watershed - a protected source of water in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains.
- The watersheds that provide our drinking water are protected and monitored for anything that could threaten water quality.
- The water supply from the South Fork of the Tolt River is part of the 12,500-acre Tolt River Watershed - including 8,400 acres of protected, City-owned land.
- The Tolt Water Treatment Facility uses filtration and ozonation to provide high quality drinking water to about 450,000 people in King County.
- The Cedar Water Treatment Facility uses ozonation and ultraviolet light (UV) disinfection to provide high quality drinking water to about 850,000 people in King County.
- Water operations staff are at work 24 hours a day to ensure a dependable, safe drinking water supply.
- Seattle’s water quality laboratory conducts sampling and testing of the water supply every day of the year.
- The Beacon Hill Reservoir is one of eight water reservoirs covered during the last 15 years to protect the water supply – providing the added benefit of new park land.
- Water crews maintain 1,800 miles of pipelines, 18,000 fire hydrants, and many other water facilities in Seattle and King County.
- About 1.3 million people in King County depend on Seattle to provide their drinking water.
Seattle Public Utilities is increasing water rates by approximately 2.7% for 2017. Seattle water still costs less than a penny per gallon.
Water rates pay for:
- Protecting the safety and security of the water supply system
- Operating two state-of-the-art water treatment facilities: Cedar and Tolt
- Daily testing to maintain drinking water quality
- Covering open water storage reservoirs in Seattle
- Maintaining and repairing 1,800 miles of pipeline, 20,000 valves, 18,000 fire hydrants, 180,000 water service connections, and dozens of other water facilities
- Providing services to help customers manage their bills and resolve problems