Seattle Public Utilities Mami Hara, General Manager/CEO

Building Owners/Managers

Free recycling is available for apartments, condominiums, co-ops, fraternities, sororities and house boats. Stop paying to throw away what you can recycle for free!

To get started, building owners and managers can:

You will be contacted by Seattle Public Utilities and/or one of its contractors to set up your recycling containers and service.

If you live in a condo, you may need to get approval from the Homeowner's Association before signing up for recycling services.

Report Missed Recycling Collection

If your apartment recycling was not collected by 6:00 p.m. on your collection day, call SPU Solid Waste Customer Service at (206) 684-7665 by 6:00 p.m. the next business day to report it.

Replace Recycling Containers

If your apartment recycling dumpster or cart is lost or damaged, call SPU Solid Waste Customer Service at (206) 684-7665 to request a replacement.

Your new container should arrive within 10 days.

Interested in a collection box for clothes, shoes, and linens?

Local community organizations can help your tenants keep reusable or recyclable textiles out of the garbage. Find contact information for some organizations that provide collection boxes (pdf).

Interested in food and yard waste collection?

This service is available to multifamily properties through both curbside and on-site collection. Find out details.

Why Recycle?

Recycling is good for the environment and it’s the law—City ordinance bans recyclable paper, cardboard, glass and plastic bottles, and aluminum and tin cans from garbage containers.

If garbage dumpsters contain more than 10 percent recyclables, the garbage will still be collected but a warning notice will be mailed to the garbage account customer. After two warning notices have been mailed, a charge of $50 will be added to the utility bill. If your recycling dumpster is contaminated with garbage, it will be charged at the higher garbage rate.

$100 Credit for Friend of Recycling and Composting Steward

By City ordinance, apartment and condominium properties are required to provide food and yard waste collection to residents as of September 1, 2011. When you sign up for food and yard waste service through SPU, you can also sign up a Friend of Recycling and Composting (FORC) and receive a one-time $100 credit on your utility bill. Learn more about food and yard waste service and FORC.

If you have had a Friend of Recycling in the past, you can also sign up a FORC when you have food waste collection and receive another one-time $100 credit on your account.

Related Links

Top 10 Recycling Questions - Apartment & Condo Residents
Garbage Collection for Apartment Owners
Reduce, Reuse, Exchange