Food and Yard Waste at Your House
- Sign up for service – call (206) 684-3000
- Change cart size
- Request an exemption if you compost at home – call (206) 684-3000
- What’s accepted in your food and yard waste cart?
- Wondering about a specific item? Look it up
- See our flyer (pdf) for pictures of what you can put in your food and yard waste cart
Food and yard waste service is required for all households of 1-4 units as of September 15, 2012. Rates vary, depending on the level of service you choose. See Rates, Containers & Quantities. Yard debris - such as leaves, grass, and plant trimmings - are not allowed in your garbage.
Starting January 1, 2015, the City of Seattle will no longer allow food and compostable paper, including food-soiled pizza boxes, paper napkins and paper towels, in the garbage. Starting January 1, 2016 fines will be issued for garbage containers with too much food waste or recyclables.
Food and yard waste is collected weekly, on the same day as your garbage. Collection is normal on all holidays except for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. Following each of those holidays, service will be delayed by one day for the rest of the week.
- Look up collection day
- Call (206) 684-3000
What goes in my food and yard waste cart?
Fruit and vegetables, yard trimmings, meat, dairy, and fish are all accepted, but what else goes in your food and yard waste cart? Watch a video of what you can and can’t put in.