Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page
I want to search within the following: This Department
Seattle Public Utilities header

Obtain or Upgrade Water Service

Relocation of Development & Water Services

Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Ave., Seattle, WA 98104
Development Services Office
(206) 684-3333 /email

For water services
27th floor
M, W, Th, F: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tue: 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

4th floor (lobby entrance)
Information & Payments desk

Online payments

Sign up for updates about construction services.

Complete the following customer checklist if you are a property owner who wants a new connection to Seattle’s water supply system or to upgrade your existing water service.

Customer checklist

View printable checklist (pdf)

View scope of work form (pdf)

Determine if there is adequate water for your project.

  • Apply for and receive an approved Water Availability Certificate (pdf)
  • Submit plan and receive plan approval (choose one):
    • Large Services/Hydrants (greater than two inches)
      • Submit plan to Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) for water service
      • Acquire SPU Engineering approval (your account executive will help with this)
      • Acquire site-specific job costs from SPU
    • Small Services (two inches or less)
      • Provide site sketch showing desired location for new services
  • Street restoration: Customers are responsible for the full cost of street right-of-way restoration, which may include paving, sidewalks, wheelchair ramps, and other improvements. Applicable site-specific requirements are determined through the Seattle Department of Transportation’s (SDOT) Street and Sidewalk Opening and Restoration Director’s Rule, 5-2009. Customers have two options to fulfill this responsibility (choose one):
    • Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) restores
      • Submit a signed Water Service Application and Water Agreement (pdf). If you designate SPU as the street restorer, SPU will provide you with your final fee. Additional fees may apply if the customer changes the scope of work, design, or location of the new services after plans are approved. 
      • Pay fees associated with water service installation and street restoration
    • Owner restores (Hire an SDOT approved private contractor)

Questions? Contact a utility account executive. Email or call (206) 684-3333.

Related Links

CAM 2600 (pdf) Street Use Utility Permitting Requirements
CAM 2601 (pdf) Pavement Restoration for Utility Service Connections
CAM 2602 (pdf) Becoming a Registered Pavement Restoration Contractor
Water Service Standard Charges
Water Service Client Assistance Memo
Backflow Prevention Requirements
Backflow Test Report Form (pdf)
Water Service Application and Agreement (pdf)
Water-Saving Tips and Rebates for Commercial Buildings
Water Service Project Scope Of Work (pdf)