Schmitz Preserve Park is a 53 acre park on Alki Point in West Seattle. The park contains an old growth forest, walking paths, hiking and nature studies. Schmitz Park was established in 1908 when Ferdinand and Emma Schmitz donated 30 acres of land to the City of Seattle. The park was part of the Olmsted Brothers’ recreation plan for the Alki District. Except for its paved entrance and a parking lot at the northwest corner, the park has remained essentially unchanged since 1908, and contains the largest old growth forest in Seattle.
Close by is the Log House Museum, an authentically-restored log building that celebrates the history of Duwamish Peninusla.