|Parks||Centers & Pools||Activities||Reservations & Permits||Projects & Planning||A - Z Index|
The Cal Anderson Shelterhouse Project is complete!
Your support for the Pro Parks Levy and funding from Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Seattle Public Utilities, and Washington State/Seattle Central Community College made completion of this project possible. Our thanks also to the Friends of Seattle’s Olmsted Parks and Groundswell Off Broadway for their involvement in the design work and fundraising for this project.
|Under this project a new shelterhouse, site improvements and a temporary children's play area was constructed at Cal Anderson Park. The shelterhouse includes a multi-purpose activity building, a toilet building, a plaza, and a maintenance storage building. The project also includes site restoration, which was shifted from Seattle Public Utilities's (SPU's) Lincoln Reservoir Schedule 1 project. The toilet building, maintenance building and plaza were put in use in February, 2003.
For information on a related project, see Cal Anderson Park - Improvements on Lincoln Reservoir Cover.
Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) is replacing the current open-air Lincoln Reservoir, which is surrounded by park, with a new underground lidded reservoir. With completion of the new reservoir the park will extend over the reservoir, increasing the size of the useable park space by 4+ acres. SPU is doing the project in two steps: SPU’s “Schedule 1” work (completed summer 2002) is located within the “Olive Corridor” (between the Olive Street right of way and the reservoir). Schedule 1 included installation of a large valve vault and piping connection work that had to be completed before the existing reservoir could be taken out of service. SPU’s “Schedule 2” work is located in the area north of the Olive Corridor. Construction of Schedule 2 began spring 2003.
A master plan for park improvements to the site was finalized in October 1999 after extensive public involvement. The Seattle Parks Board, Seattle Design Commission, the Seattle Landmarks Board, and several community groups have endorsed the master plan. One of the most prominent elements of the master plan is replacement of the existing shelter house.
The reservoir and park site is an Olmsted-designed Seattle Historic Landmark. Specific elements of the site are protected, including the gatehouse and some of the landscaping. The circa 1960 shelter house, demolished winter 2002, was expressly not protected.
Cal Anderson Park includes Lincoln Reservoir and Bobby Morris Playfield. Lincoln Reservoir was built after the Great Seattle Fire of 1889 and put to use in 1901. Originally named Lincoln Park by the City Council in 1901, Bobby Morris Playfield was one Seattle’s first playgrounds, opening in 1908.
In 1922, the Park Board renamed it "Broadway Playfield" after the main street and neighborhood school to avoid confusion with a new major park in West Seattle which was to be named Lincoln.
In 1980, the playfield was renamed Bobby Morris, after a beloved Capitol Hill coach and who also served as King County Auditor for many years. In 2003, the entire site was named, "Cal Anderson Park" after the state legislator from this area. The playfield retains its name.
( RETURN TO TOP )
Community organizations and individuals were extensively involved in development of the park master plan, securing funding for the project, and the design/construction process. The most active community groups were Groundswell Off Broadway and Friends of Seattle's Olmsted Parks.
( RETURN TO TOP )
< A-Z Projects List < Acquisition < Development < Project Map
|Home | Partnerships | Park Board | Volunteer | FAQ | Parkways | Facebook | @SeattleParks | Flickr|