Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Formerly NE 43rd St. Mini Park, this park was renamed in May of 1981. This tiny neighborhood park offers grassy areas to picnic on sunny days, as well as drinking fountains and public artwork, with half-court basketball and a bench.Acreage: 0.1
Pat Martin of Mercer Island, WA suggested the name for this park in March 1981 after the leader of the Press Expedition of 1889 which explored the Olympic Mountains. The expedition was a significant civic enterprise early in Seattle’s history. Its leader James Christie was a common man with a little bit of adventuring spirit that is part of life in the Northwest. He had other successes in expeditions and lived many years in British Columbia until his death in 1942. According to Ms. Martin’s research on the matter, he was not so chauvinistic as to ignore the place of the native residents of the area and apparently spent some considerable effort on behalf of local Indians later in his life.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.