Address: 2700 California Ave SW, 98116
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us
TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
- Basketball (Half)
- Community Center
- Historic Landmark
- Tennis Court (Outdoor)
- Tennis Backboard (Outdoor)
- Tennis Lights
- Wading Pool or Water Feature
- Restrooms (ADA Compliant)
- Play Area (ADA Compliant)
- Paths (ADA Compliant)
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
“A new era in public recreation in Seattle and in the Pacific Northwest was opened with the dedication of the recreation center on Hiawatha Playfield” in 1911. The Olmsted Brother’s prepared the original design in 1911 for what was then the largest public playfield in Seattle. The Olmsted plan was drastically altered in 1932 when the demand for a longer running track caused its relocation from the east side of the center to the west and a continual redesign of the eastern half of the playfield.
Originally identified as the “West Seattle Playfield” in the newly annexed West Seattle (1907), it was named in time for the dedication, upon proposal of Park Commissioner Fredinand Schmitz, to honor the hero of a poem by Longfellow: Hiawatha. The 16th Century Mohawk Chieftan, was famed for his miraculous powers and deeds, brought about the Five National Confederation of Indians known as the League of Iroquois. Hiawatha lived nd roamed through the forests of Northern Michigan.
The ballfield was floodlighted in 1954, rehabilitated in 1967; the tennis courts lighted; new wading pool replaced the old ones; new types of play equipment replaced traditional types. The ballfields installed in 1954 developed drainage problems in winter and “paved” surface in summer, it was resurfaced in 1967 with the assistance of the SeaBee unit from Sand Point Naval Station.
(Edited from the files of Don Sherwood, 1916-1981, Park Historian.)
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation,
including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History
Files, view our Park History