Beer Sheva Park
Address: 8650 55th Ave S, 98118
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us
TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
- Boat Launch (Hand Carry)
- Pesticide Free
- Picnic Sites
- Play Area (ADA Compliant)
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Beer Sheva Park is located in southeast Seattle. It's the perfect place to visit on a summer day, when the view across Lake Washington to Mercer Island and the Cascade Mountains is incomparable.
Beer Sheva Park was named for Beer Sheva, Israel, one of Seattle's International Sister Cities.
> more about Beer Sheva
Just east of Rainier Beach High School, this tiny lakefront park features a children's play area, picnic tables and restrooms.
Beer Sheva Park has been designated a "Pesticide Free Park".
Once known as Atlantic City Park, the site was renamed in honor of Seattle's sister city in Israel, Beer Sheva, in 1978.
When C.D. Hillman platted the area in 1905, the "Atlantic City Addition," there was a log cabin located about 100 feet from the corner of the park that was believed by local residents to be the birthplace of Princess Angeline, Chief Seattle's daughter.
As the area grew, it became the the terminus of the trolley line "all the way" from Washington Street in downtown Seattle. The trolley operated the line from 1889 to 1936; when it was first built it was the longest interurban line in the state. The trolley in turn encouraged economic development along the line.
The dedicated park land was almost lost when realtors neglected to record the plat in 1905; when they finally did file a plat, it did not include the park land. Fortunately a lawsuit by buyers of lots in the plat went to the state Supreme Court, which affirmed in 1907 that the park land had been dedicated to the public.
A lively boathouse rented boats, served refreshments, and provided free dressing rooms the opening of the Lake Washington Ship Canal lowered the level of the lake by nine feet in 1917. The boathouse was demolished, and a tennis court, picnic stove and play equipment took its place.
During the Depression in 1940, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a new cobblestone comfort station, a new picnic shelter, and a stone drinking fountain.
In 1942 the Rainier Beach Men's Club bought the waterfront property south of S Henderson Street and gave it to Parks and Recreation. In cooperation with the Engineering Department (now Seattle Transportation), several street ends were developed into boat ramps.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation,
including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History
Files, view our Park History