Community POlice academy
The Community Police Academy Program is designed to educate the public in the operations of the Seattle Police Department, while also giving the Department a chance to obtain valuable feedback from the community. The purpose of the Community Police Academy is to increase understanding between the Seattle Police Department and the community members of Seattle through education and interaction.
Community participants will become familiar with various facets of the Seattle Police Department and gain insight into law enforcement's role in the criminal justice system and the daily work of police employees. With increased understanding, Seattle's community and police can work together and achieve realistic solutions to neighborhood problems relating to crime, fear of crime, and neighborhood decay. This class is both fun and educational and often challenges the myths and images of law enforcement by providing a realistic view of police procedures.
Who can participate?
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must pass a records check. [View Standards]
- The program is free.
- Individuals who are active in their communities are encouraged to apply.
Instructors are officers and personnel from the Department who are experts in their fields. The classroom atmosphere is positive and highly interactive. Students are encouraged to ask questions and discuss topics of interest with instructors.
SPD offers an eleven-week evening Community Police Academy twice a year in the spring and again in the fall. The Department also offers a One-Day Academy quarterly for those who have an interest in the eleven-week sessions but can’t make the time commitment. The One-Day Academy provides a brief overview of a number of the classes that are given during the eleven-week sessions.
- Participants are required to make a commitment to attend the eleven-week course.
- Each evening class lasts an average of four hours and covers two topics.
- Students also have the opportunity to ride along with officers on patrol.
Apply to the Eleven-Week Academy:
The next Eleven-Week Academy will start on: Thursday, September 8th, 2016 (ends Thursday Nov 17th, 2016).
Space is very limited and all applicants must pass a records check. Be sure to sign your application and include a copy of your ID. Return your application by Friday, July 29th, 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
What is covered during the Eleven-Week Academy?
- Office of Professional Accountability
- Criminal Justice Process
- Criminal Law, Arrest Procedures, Search and Seizure
- Patrol Operations and Procedures
- Public Affairs Unit
- 9-1-1 Communications Center
- Crimes Against Property
- Crimes Against Persons
- Officer Safety and Defensive Tactics
- Domestic Violence
- Traffic/Parking Enforcement
- Firearms Classroom Training
- Shoot/Don't Shoot
- Bias Crimes
- Sex Offender Information
- SWAT/Hostage Negotiations Team
- Crime Scene Investigation (CSI)
- Elder Abuse
- Seattle Police Officers Guild