Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARKAcreage: 0.24
Deeded to the City in 1910, California Place originally was 4,220 sq.ft., featuring a lawn, 11 trees, and sidewalks. Nearby Ferry Avenue was so named because it was (according to an 1899 map of West Seattle) the route of the cable car from the turntable terminus north of 46th Avenue and Admiral Way down to the ferry slip at Atlantic Street. The West Seattle ferry at this time docked at the foot of Marion St. while a cable car continued up California Way wending its way to 45th Street and Ferry Avenue to a turntable. A later day “Electric RR” made the ferry obsolete which itself came from Spokane Street up Fairmount Avenue curving upward until it terminated here at California Avenue and Ferry Avenue.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation, including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History Files, view our Park History.
( RETURN TO TOP )
In our large parks and recreation system, we could not do what we do without you.