Alvin Larkins Park
Address: 1504 34TH Ave, 98122
Seattle Parks and Recreation Information:
(206) 684-4075 | Contact Us
TTY Phone: (206) 233-1509
Click to skip down to:
4 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
ABOUT THE PARK
Alvin Larkins Park, located at the corner of E Pike Street and 34th Avenue E in Madrona, was bought in 1973 and developed in 1975. It provides a place of respite for the neighbors and for the merchants from the nearby business area.
It features benches set along a path that winds through the park; it is landscaped with maple, pine and fir trees, and has an expanse of lawn that's perfect for tossing a Frisbee or a ball. It provides an oasis of green for visitors, and has become the traditional Palm Sunday gatheringplace for worshippers from several neighborhood churches.
Alvin Larkins Park was named in 1979, based on the recommendation of the Madrona Community Council. Al Larkins was a brilliant musician and teacher who devoted time and energy to the Madrona community, where he lived from 1949 until his death in 1977.
Born in Baltimore, Larkins headed west when the Navy stationed him at Sand Point Naval Air Station in 1943. There he joined a jazz group, the Jive Bombers. After World War II he got a Bachelor's degree in education from the University of Washington. He taught social studies and band at Wilson Jr. High and Franklin High Schools, and was active in the Black Student Union and the University of Washington's Upward Bound Program.
Long a member of the Rainy City Jazz Band, Larkins played bass fiddle and tuba. The Rainy City Jazz Band played at the first Bumbershoot in CCC. He also directed the Madrona Presbyterian Church choir and was a familiar sight at the Madrona Mayfair and the Christmas Ship visits to Madrona.
To learn more about Seattle Parks and Recreation,
including historic landmarks, military base reuse, and the Sherwood History
Files, view our Park History