Winter shelter beds extended through summer
SEATTLE - Today Mayor Mike McGinn formally announced that shelter locations providing beds for 115 individuals slated to close on June 15 will remain open through September 30, offering a safe place for men and women needing overnight emergency shelter.
After September 30, the regularly scheduled operations of the winter shelters go into effect from October 1, 2013 through March 31, 2014.
Shelter extensions through September 30, 2013 include:
"I am pleased that we will be able to offer shelter for people who need a safe, clean place to stay for the night," said Mayor Mike McGinn. "We remain committed to finding long-term solutions to help people find the housing and services they need to end the cycle of homelessness."
Earlier this year, the shelters were extended through June 15, 2013 with funding approved by the Seattle City Council.
"I am extremely glad to see the City of Seattle continue these core survival services" said Alison Eisinger, Director of the Seattle/King County Coalition on Homelessness. "Men and women have been sleeping safely in these 115 shelter beds every night since the doors opened last fall. Being homeless outside is an emergency situation in any season, and keeping the shelters open makes every kind of sense."
The City of Seattle is committed to the goal of helping people move from homelessness to safe and stable housing. The City funds a wide variety of shelter, transitional housing and housing support services for homeless and low-income individuals and families. For more information please visit seattle.gov/humanservices/emergencyservices/
- 30 -