Ed Murray, Mayor
SUBJECT: A Summer Weekend Full of Events
6/19/2013 3:00:00 PM
John Crawford-Gallagher (206) 684-4008
A Summer Weekend Full of Events!
City promotes resources to participate, volunteer, and navigate this weekend’s events
SEATTLE – Summer sun and summer events in Seattle are part of what make our city great. This year’s summer calendar of events proves the point, with each weekend full of activities for people from all walks of life, from hydroplanes to parades, from neighborhood music festivals to stadium sporting events.
These gatherings encourage and support the interaction of neighbors, friends, families and strangers, increase the vibrancy of our neighborhoods, and provide positive economic impact.
With the Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon & ½ Marathon, Fremont Summer Solstice Parade and Celebration, and Mariners vs Athletics game all on Saturday, June 22, this is a great weekend to get out and enjoy an event. Whether you’re heading to one of these three events, or passing by on your way to attend the Honk Fest West or Morgan Junction Community Festival, we want to make sure you have the best resources to avoid complications while getting there.
The Rock ‘n’ Roll Seattle Marathon & ½ Marathon starts and ends at the Seattle Center with closures of several arterial streets beginning at 7:00 a.m. For the course map, road closure map, and Seattle waterfront access detour routes, please visit http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/seattle/road-closures
With the Marathon in town, the Fremont Summer Solstice Parade will begin this year at 3:00 p.m. instead of 12:00 p.m. You can arrive early and enjoy the Fremont Fair, which is in full swing all weekend. For Fremont neighborhood access, please visit the suggested traffic routes at http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/seattle/road-closures
First pitch for the Mariners vs Athletics game is set for 7:10 p.m.
For the latest traffic alerts and updated traveler’s information, please visit the Traveler’s Information Map at www.seattle.gov/travelers
With long summer days and a short season of beautiful weather, most outdoor events in Seattle are squeezed into the summer months. Sometimes we have multiple large scale events happening on the same day. The City’s online Special Event Calendar has links to event details and route maps that can help you navigate getting to these events, and getting around town. Plan ahead for these upcoming big weekends and Fourth of July, get out there and participate, volunteer, and navigate through the fun this summer!
- June 28-30 Pride Events: Trans Pride Celebration, Wildrose Pride, Purr Pride Block Party, Julia’s on Broadway Pride Event, Seattle Dyke March, Capitol Hill Pride Festival, Pride Parade & March, PrideFest at Seattle Center, Cuff Pride Day Celebration, Pride Party in Tilikum Place Park, Greenwood Car Show, Set the Table for SAM
- July 4 Seafair Summer Fourth, Lake Union Wooden Boats Festival, Admiral 4th of July Kids Parade
- July 13-14 Seattle’s Chinatown-ID Dragon Fest, Sub Pop Silver Jubilee, Bastille Bash, West Seattle Summer Fest, Festal: Polish Festival, Rat City Roller Girls Bout 7, Urban Craft Uprising, Seattle Retro Gaming Expo, Ballard SeafoodFest, Crown of Queen Anne Fun Run / Walk, Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic, Women’s Half Marathon & 5K, Seafair Milk Carton Derby, Wedgwood Art Festival
- July 26-28 Capitol Hill Block Party, UFC at Key Arena, Mariners and Sounders games, Torchlight Run and Parade, Chinatown Parade, Seattle Center: Movies at the Mural, One Direction at Key Arena, Hispanic Seafair, Shakespeare in the Park at Fisher Pavilion Lawn, Clips of Faith Beer and Film Tour, Boogie Up the Block Urban Arts Festival, St. James Cathedral Parish Picnic, Festival of the Fountains
- August 2-4 Seafair Weekend, Umojafest, KEXP & Seattle Center Present Concerts at the Mural, Seattle Center Fountain of Light, Magnolia Summerfest & Art Show, Magnolia Seafair Parade & Kids Parade
- August 16-18 Hempfest, Seattle Storm, Lake Union 10K, Athleta Iron Girl Triathlon, Festal: Indigenous Cultures Day and BrasilFest, Rainier Court Community Festival, Rainier Summer Streets Party
Use these resources to find out about more Seattle events all summer long:
Seattle Department of Transportation Summer Streets
Seattle Parks Activities
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods Calendar
Seattle Police Department – Night Out Against Crime
Seattle Fire Department Kid’s Safety Day
Seattle Center Events
Seattle Public Library Calendar
Seattle Citywide Events Calendar
Seattle Special Events Office Planning Calendar
- 30 -