The Only in Seattle Initiative is based a set of core building blocks that are the critical components of any successful district. Business districts benefit most from comprehensive approaches that work simultaneously in the following strategy areas:
- Business Organization - Neighborhood organizations, residents, property owners and business owners collaborate and work together toward a common vision for the neighborhood.
- Business and Retail Development - Businesses prosper because they are organized, supported by the community, and they receive the assistance they need to strengthen and grow their business. New businesses move into the district that complement and improve the business mix.
- Clean and Safe – The district is clean and customers feel safe and welcome.
- Marketing and Promotion - The district has a positive, consistent image that helps draw more customers to visit it.
- Appearance and Pedestrian Environment – The retail and pedestrian environment are attractive, inviting and easily accessible by multiple modes of transportation. Catalyst real estate projects rehabilitate or replace vacant or underutilized spaces, generating a sense of forward momentum and improvement in the district.
For more details about the program, see Program Information.
OED has an annual application process to select new neighborhoods to be part of the initiative. Follow the links shown below to find out more.
For additional information, contact:
Here are the downloadable application documents for the 2014 Only in Seattle Request for Applications(RFA) :
1) 2014 Only in Seattle Initiative Cover Page and Checklist (pdf)
2) 2014 Only in Seattle Initiative Request for Applications (RFA)
3) 2014 Only in Seattle RFA Appendix A
4) 2014 Only in Seattle RFA Appendix B
5) 2014 Budget Template
6) 2014 Action Plan Template
RFA Frequently Asked Questions
Other Funding Opportunities
City of Seattle Funding
- City Grants Portal: Portal to grants from several city departments
Private Funders (a few examples)
- Impact Capital provides real estate financing products and community building support to non-profit community-based organizations throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Seattle Foundation supports organizations by making capital, equipment and operating support grants to increase organizations' capacities to serve their constituents.
- Starbucks Foundation
- JPMorgan Chase & Co.
King County Funders
Grant Writing and Grant Research Guides and Resources
Current Only in Seattle Initiative Awardees
View a list of the 2013 award winners