Log in to Project Portal SDCI

Curb Cut Permit

See also: 

What Is It?

You need a curb cut permit when you make a new driveway in an existing sidewalk curb. The curb cut permit is often part of a building construction permit, but may also be issued as a stand-alone permit. The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) oversees curb cut permits, because curbs are on the City right-of-way. However, we review, approve, and issue the permits.    

When you design your curb cut size and location, consider:

  • Tree and power pole clearances
  • The size and number of curb cuts allowed  on your property
  • The required distance between your curb cuts and those on nearby property

What It Isn't

A curb cut permit does not address parking and car storage or location, size, and number of parking spots.

How Much Does It Cost?

We charge $86 for each curb cut on a single-family property. We charge $170 for each curb cut on all other types of property.

How Long Does It Take?

You may be able to get a curb cut permit as a same-day permit called a subject-to-field-inspection permit. Your project may qualify for a subject-to-field-inspection permit if:

  • You do not change the property use (such as retail, restaurant, or warehouse)
  • You are not doing any construction on the property
  • You are not establishing a parking lot 

If you have a construction project on the site, your curb cut permit will be part of your single-family or duplex construction permit or your multi-family, commercial, mixed use, or industrial construction permit.

Steps to Get Your Permit


1. Research

Get your property information. Find property information to help you plan your project.

Determine restrictions to your project. Research the codes to determine curb cut limits and the SDOT standard plans to determine construction requirements.

Attend a coaching session. We offer 20 minutes of free coaching to answer drainage, land use, geotechnical or construction permit questions. If you need a longer coaching session, we offer one-hour sessions for $315.

2. Start Permit Application

Get a project number. Get a project number by starting your application online or by submitting a preliminary application. You will need to include a site plan. You can use the number to track your project.

Request a pre-application site visit. You need a pre-application site visit if you will disturb more than 750 square feet of land or disturb any land on a site with an environmentally critical area (other than liquefaction or peat-settlement prone areas). Request a pre-application site visit online or submit a pre-application site visit form. Our report will include information about your next steps, what to include in your plans, and what to provide at your intake appointment.

Prepare your plans. Plans should be to scale and easy to read and scan.

You need to indicate the curb cut location on your site plan, as well as where there are trees and power poles. You need to include curb cut detail sheets that meet requirements in the SDOT standard plans and the Land Use Code. See the SDOT Right-of-Way Improvements Manual for curb cut standard plans and design criteria.

Fill out forms.

Coordinate with other agencies. You may need permits or approvals from other agencies. These are the most common agencies you may need to work with for your permit type:

3. Submit Plans

Get your project screened by our permit techs. We screen your application to make sure it’s ready to submit. Screening is available on a walk-in basis at the Applicant Services Center on the 20th floor of the Seattle Municipal Tower.

Schedule an intake appointment. Call (206) 684-8850 to schedule an intake appointment at the Applicant Services Center, or schedule an electronic appointment. You may schedule an appointment without screening if you are a consistently prepared applicant with a rating of 80 percent or better.

Pay fees. Approximately 75 percent of your permit fees are due at intake. The fees are calculated based on your project value.

Make corrections and resubmit your plans. Your project reviewer will send you a corrections letter if changes are needed.

4. Get Permit

Pick up or print permit. You will be contacted when your plans are approved. You can pick up your permit and approved plans at the permit issuance counter in the Applicant Service Center. If you submitted your plans electronically, you can print your permit and approved plans from your Seattle DCI Project Portal.

Pay fees. You will need to pay all outstanding fees to pick up your permit.

Display your permit. Place your permit in a visible location on the project site.

Get related permits. You may need to get additional permits or approvals from other departments.

5. Schedule Inspection

Contact SDOT. Call your SDOT street use inspector to schedule an inspection or if you have any questions about when an inspection is required. A list of street use inspectors may be found at SDOT Street Use Inspection.

6. Complete Project

Close your permit. Your permit information will be archived in our electronic document management system.

What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us

  • Call us at (206) 684-8850