What Is It?
Most electrical permits require three inspections: cover, service, and final.
- Cover inspection. Schedule this inspection when all new circuits are wired (boxes installed, wires run, grounding conductor connected or made up, nail plates installed in areas as needed). Don’t cover your work with insulation, receptacles, or wall switches until the inspector has approved it. Cover inspections also include underground installations. Don’t cover trenches, ditches, or slabs until the inspector has approved them.
- Service and feeder inspection. Schedule this inspection when the service electrical mast, meter base, service panels, grounding electrode conductors, and branch circuits (if possible) have been installed.
- Final inspections. Schedule this inspection when the electrical work has been completed. Make sure panel boxes are covered, circuits are labeled in the right spaces on the box, and all cover plates are installed. You must have all of equipment and appliances installed, grounded, and energized for final inspection.
Addressing Inspection Issues
We may not approve your work for a number of reasons:
- We do not have access to do the inspection
- Your work is not be complete
- There are code violations
If you need to make corrections, the inspector will note them on the inspection report. Please note that we may charge a reinspection fee is we need to do more than one reinspection for a single permit.
How To Schedule
To schedule an inspection:
Request the inspection before 7:00 a.m. on the day you need it. You will need your permit number available to make the requests. Inspection requests received after 7:00 a.m. will be put on the list for the next business day.
Our service goal is same-day inspections, yet on rare occasions, this isn’t possible. Inspection time varies from one inspection to the next, so we can’t give you a specific time of day for your inspection. If you have an unusual scheduling issue or other concern, be sure to contact your inspector the morning of your inspection. Your inspector may be able to give you a time window or make other arrangements.