Working for a safe, affordable, vibrant, innovative, and interconnected city.
Learn More Home Page This Department
Link to Seattle Department of Planning and Development home page

Retaining Walls & Rockeries

See also: See also: Decks, Fences, Grading Permit, Sheds
  • Some retaining walls and rockery work does not need a permit.

What Is It?

A retaining wall is a structure designed to support soil at a steeper angle than the soil could stand on its own; it may or may not be attached to a building. A rockery consists of placed rocks used to control soil erosion.

What Permits Do You Need?

You don’t need a construction permit if you meet all of the following three conditions:

  1. The rockery or retaining wall will be 4 feet or lower in height
  2. The wall is not located in an environmentally critical area (ECA) or near an ECA
  3. You will not damage adjoining properties or structures during or after construction of the wall

If you don’t meet these three conditions, you need a new construction permit. For example, if you are building a wall at the property line, the potential for damage may exist and you need a construction permit.

You may also need a grading permit depending on the amount of soil you plan to move or the area you plan to disturb.

Research the Code

  • Rockeries and retaining walls don’t contribute toward your lot coverage limit. This limit is the percentage of your lot that can be covered by a house and other buildings, such as garages, or impervious surfaces, such as paving.
  • You cannot build a rockery or retaining wall of any height in an ECA unless you meet very specific requirements or obtain an exemption. Rockeries and retaining walls are not eligible for small project waivers.
  • Rockery designs must be prepared by a geotechnical engineer or comply with the prescriptive rockery installation design standards.

Should You Hire a Professional?

  • Rockery and retaining wall drawings commonly require a professional stamp (indicating they were designed by an architect or engineer). You can prepare the drawings yourself or hire a professional to help you.

What Do You Want To Do?

Still Need Help?

 Ask Us

  • Call us at (206) 684-8850
  • Visit the Applicant Services Center
    700 5th Avenue, 20th floor
    M, W, F: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    T, Th: 10:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
    (arrive before 2:00 p.m. for walk-in service)